WHAT A DEAL- ( in Calif) $250

mensanguy

Town & country, 🤣 You would think they would get the description correct for posting. They charge a additional fee on top of what the final bid is.

Sale Price Under $999.00 =  $130.00

Sale Price from $1000 to $1999.00  = $170.00

Sale Price from $2000 to $2999.00  = $235.00

Sale Price from $3000 to $3999.00  = $300.00

Sale Price from $4000 to $4999.00  = $375.00

Sale Price from $5000 or higher = 9% of Final Bid Price

I used to be a member on offer up until they wanted my drivers license info/pic. Can't use the site without it.🤬 I told them to go f themselves and deleted my account. This may have something to do with why they are now advertising to get more people to join.

Come to think if it, have Any of you priced used cars lately?

A barely running beater will cost over 2500, make it a Toyota or Honda and you are looking at 4G's minimum

AND that is with 200,000 plus miles! 

Anything tht is "decent" and not an embarrassment to drive is well over 8-9000

Makes our cars look like one hell of a bargain to me!

58 minutes ago, mensanguy said:

Come to think if it, have Any of you priced used cars lately?

A barely running beater will cost over 2500, make it a Toyota or Honda and you are looking at 4G's minimum

AND that is with 200,000 plus miles! 

Anything tht is "decent" and not an embarrassment to drive is well over 8-9000

Makes our cars look like one hell of a bargain to me!

And how much more will the lucky new owner have to spend to make this bargain roadworthy? Likely more than he spent just to get it!

Plus, he will likely show up here to ask you for help getting parts and advise on how to fix it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moparite said:

Yea the prices have gone up, Seems since the chip shortage for some reason. That doesn't effect old cars. Either way as long as he keeps and old car on the road it's a good thing!

Who is even concerned about 'CHIPS'? This car has an engine controller that almost never fails and the ABS control module that is in the same longevity camp. They are the last to fail, it's all the stuff connected to them that fails.

It would be 'just GREAT' if this car was in 100% drivable condition. I doubt that it is from my many years as a Chrysler Mechanic, they call them 'Techs' now.

I maintain my own 2 old Chrysler products, an '85 Plymouth Voyager and my '89 TC. I also keep my wife's 1994 Dodge Shadow ES up and running. So I am fully aware of what it takes to maintain these older FWD vehicles from new and 'somewhat' new condition, not from near salvage yard condition though, those are just for parts.  

For someone to buy a car that is auctioned off as this one was, from a salvage yard really, would tell us that there are problems lurking somewhere. Otherwise it would not have been in this auction. So, my question stands!  "How much is it going to cost the 'WINNER' to get it roadworthy?" I am really not looking for the monetary price, so don't bother. It's the labor of finding parts and then the repair that I am wondering about.

On 10/28/2023 at 6:58 PM, Hemi Dude said:

It's the labor of finding parts and then the repair that I am wondering about.

,,but isn't that part of the fun of owning an older vehicle?

I can see both sides, and not trying to be argumentative, and I can see Hemi's point, BUT

looking at the pics it's not That Bad!  The body seems to be straight with no rust, ( vrs a rust-bucket, accident damage, paint bubbling or checking/worn off)   the interior is in fairly good shape with not a lot of stuff to be done to make it presentable ( all  of the leather is there and just needs a cleaning/ reattaching/stretching ( vrs Gone, or split and dried out excessively) carpets look good, soft top is in good shape and doesn't need to be replaced, engine-well another story, it smokes, is that because of a turbo seal of just sitting and sledged up, or does it need rebuilding? Plus it may need all of the smaller things like brake and gas lines and the teves system replaced, as all of our cars need. I think someone could buy this car and be in it for less then 5k and have a sweet ride to play with, compared to the tens ( or hundreds)of thousands that others eventually pay to restore some 60-70's era cars. 

if there wasn't a country between us, i would definitely be on this car!

Again isn't that what it's all about- bringing an old car back to life and making it your own special ride?

11 hours ago, mensanguy said:

,,but isn't that part of the fun of owning an older vehicle?

I can see both sides, and not trying to be argumentative, and I can see Hemi's point, BUT

Again isn't that what it's all about- bringing an old car back to life and making it your own special ride?

You are correct in your analyzations. 28 years ago when I bought my first TC, the only one I still have, I was curious about the car and I had a complete Auto Repair Shop to work on it.

Over the years, I have worked on hundreds of TCs for customers and friends. Some that I bought and sold and several that I parted out. For the new owner of this TC, "I wish him well."

Today at 84, keeping that first TC roadworthy and trouble-free is enough for me. My most recent goal, "to see the odometer roll over the 300,000 mile point" was enough for me. 

As 'Dirty Harry' would say, "You got to know your limitations." 

• Like 2

Well if you watched any of the auto restoration/build shows that have been on for years it's not uncommon to travel to the other side of the country(or more) to buy a car. Who knows what the new owner has in mind or what he plans on doing with it. If he is loaded his limitations are limitless. As long as he keeps an old car on the road it's all good. In another 10-20 years i only can imagine what ugly turds will be on the roads. That's actually the case today!

1 hour ago, Moparite said:

Well if you watched any of the auto restoration/build shows that have been on for years it's not uncommon to travel to the other side of the country(or more) to buy a car. Who knows what the new owner has in mind or what he plans on doing with it. If he is loaded his limitations are limitless. As long as he keeps an old car on the road it's all good. In another 10-20 years i only can imagine what ugly turds will be on the roads. That's actually the case today!

You know, that would be an interesting program, 'Restoring a TC', True enough.

I haven't thought of a TC being considered for restoration like a Model A or a Duisenberg or even a 1951 Mercury.

I look at the collection of the 3 cars in my garage as daily drivers, vehicles that can be started at a moments notice and driven to any point in the country without hesitation. True enough, my TC is not the chosen daily driver, but it stands ready. The other 2 choices would be my wife's 1994 Dodge Shadow ES or my 1985 Plymouth Voyager.  We own no modern CRAP.

I don't view those 3 as some antique, old car that needs special care and fondling. Normal maintenance is all they need. For those who saw my TC at the Chesterfield, MO Meet, they saw a car with nearly 300,000 miles on the odometer, looking almost as good as those with only 20 or 40 thousand miles on them, and in many cases it was in better shape. 

I have seen and worked on many TCs that were in the same condition as this car here in the discussion. For someone to purchase such a car and do the 'restoration' themself, that is understandable. To farm it out to a repair shop in town would cost a fortune, at today's prices.