Wipers

Hi,  wiper motor is working, when I got under the plastic cowl, the two linkage arms had both come unattached from everything.  I didn't see any plastic grommets.  So quick questions.  Is there an incorrect way to attach them?  Can it be done without taking everything out first?  On the motor, is there a single post or a post for each side?  Any tips?

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

Edited by OldCTcars (see edit history)

FYI the plastic bushings are a bastard to put in....just did them on my 1994 Dodge van 2 days ago. A lot easier when you have the links out to push (pound) them in.

I used a socket that fit over the end of the bushing. I hit the socket with a hammer after supporting the end of the link so it would not get bent.

Second time around for me with the van since I bought in 1996. I keep some spares in the glove compartment just in case................

Of all the shade tree repairs I've done on my various TC's (brake jobs, cover gaskets, odometer gears), replacing the wiper bushings was the TOUGHEST!  The bushings are cheap and readily available, but pay someone else to do the job.

20 minutes ago, Nile said:

Of all the shade tree repairs I've done on my various TC's (brake jobs, cover gaskets, odometer gears), replacing the wiper bushings was the TOUGHEST!  The bushings are cheap and readily available, but pay someone else to do the job.

I guess that is the difference between a shade tree mechanic and a 60+ professional, if wiper bushings is the toughest, don’t try any major repairs.

Ok, got the posts and the wiper motor out, before I proceed further, could someone take a look?  Do I have the arms flipped the correct way, writing towards me?  The longer arm on the passenger side?  Assume the bushings with the holes are for the motor?  Which goes on the motor first, the passenger side or the driver side?  image.jpeg.a81d6d4e3e7e269e5d6ec1bbdf16e364.jpegimage.jpeg.c147a84f1d096744f49e18cd1354d279.jpegimage.jpeg.cf447405b41f5045380b539f4a9e0ed6.jpeg

Hi Bob,

I didn't see them until now.  Thank you very much, I'm all set.  However since I read them too late, I did end up cracking the windshield just like you warn not to do in your second sentence.  So, I'm sure I'll be back for some advice about that issue next.  Thanks again and if in the future anyone wants pics or the outstanding instructions, (or advice on how to crack your windshield, let me know).

• Thanks 1

You wrote;

Thanks again and if in the future anyone wants pics or the outstanding instructions, or advice on how to crack your windshield, let me know.

Yes, I think we might all want the scoop on that!

Ok, final report, all together and working and I'm back on the road.  I like the car but mainly do this so my son will learn problem solving, pride in work, etc. this time I think all he learned were new curses but I'm sure I'll have another chance.  Thanks again. 

57 minutes ago, OldCTcars said:

Ok, final report, all together and working and I'm back on the road.  I like the car but mainly do this so my son will learn problem solving, pride in work, etc. this time I think all he learned were new curses but I'm sure I'll have another chance.  Thanks again. 

As a father of 3, I found that it was always best to keep those kind of words in my head, if I ever even thought them. Teach them patience even during adverse conditions.

• Like 1