Front seat position. 1967 Buick Riviera

Deadpurpledog

Have a 67 Riviera with manual buckets.  Seat back seems to have only one position and seat doesn’t move Dick ward very far.  I’m 5’10” and it works, however, I’d think those much over 6” might be cramped.

Questions. . . 

Is there a way to adjust seat back?  Is it possible the track is somehow blocked or is this how they were manufactured?

Thanks!

The seat backs are not adjustable (there was a very rare optional reclining passenger seat). There is a trick, however. If you tilt the seatback forward, you'll see two oval plastic bumpers where the seatback frame touches the seat bottom. These can be cut down or removed completely to change the seatback angle. Don't worry, reproductions are available.

The seat tracks should have 4-6 inches of travel. If yours don't, there is something wrong with the tracks.

There are other "modifications" that can be done to suit your seating position needs. 

First I would remove the seat and clean and lube the two tracks. 

I have seen some tracks on other GM vehicles that the track can be modified to get a little move travel. 

There is a stop on the track that can be bent or removed and you can add a stop but usually you only gain

1/2 inch at the most. 

You can add a spacer under the front mount and raise the front of the seat if that feels better. 

Last you can add a metal strip to the front and rear (I always bolted them on because I did not own a welder) 

The issue on the rear mounts is they bend out and the added strip must go forward...and you need room to get to the 

mounting bolt,  this mean you must move the seat back at least 1 1/2 inches for access to the rear bolt.  

I will be home Monday and will add a sketch so the above is easier to understand. 

'67 seat backs have locks to hold them in place.  The button on the side must be pushed to fold the seat back forward.  If you modify the bumpers as Joe P. suggested, just make sure the latch still functions.  Shaving the bumpers should be fine, if you shim them to straighten the seat back, then some latch adjustment may be needed.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Front seat position. 1967 Buick Riviera

Here is my input on moving the seat back. 

The basic version would be 4 brackets all alike.... 

Not knowing what the floor looks like on your car,  the deluxe version is a bracket that goes between both the front and back

mounting position... this would be more stable.   I'm thinking you need steel .100 to .125 thick.   The stud you weld in would be

the same diameter and threads as the original so you are not using multiple wrenches.   

The one controlling factor is the rear mount.   You must make the center to center of the mount long enough to get a wrench

behind the seat mount so it can be tightened.    I suspect the hole to hole will be at least 2 inches.    One additional advantage to moving the 

seat back is when you need to work under the dash you will have extra room.  

seat bracket.jpg

• Like 2

The mounting for seats varies and since I do not own a Riviera,  my sketch is a concept. 

Some seat mounts are studs welded to the floor..... others have a threaded insert in the floor that accepts a bolt. 

My sketch assumes the Riviera has a stud in the floor.     I suggest welding the stud in the new mounting plate so 

there is no bolt head holding the bracket up and not allowing it to sit flat on the floor.

If you are going to make the brackets,  then the method you use depends on how your shop is equipped. 

You could also use a thicker mounting bracket and thread it..... the possibilities are endless. 

****  Some seats have the factory bracket bolted to the bottom of the seat... and that opens up another 

possibility in moving the seat back.... that mount could be modified to move the seat back.