Generator Identification

57Classic

Hi everyone, I recently bought a generator for my ‘34 Chrysler, and I’m wondering if it is a 3 brush or 2 brush. Somebody installed a voltage regulator in it either way. (It didn’t have one from the factory.) I have the number for it: Autolite [GEP 4801] [11B] Any help would be appreciated! 

As far as I can remember those generators are three brushes and by moving one of the brushes forward  the current is increased . There is a cutout in the the generator output line  to prevent feed back from the battery to the generator. Some of them may have the field fused to ground to prevent overcharging.

A third brush regulates current only. Some third brush systems also use a voltage regulator. Most do not. With no voltage regulator, the charging rate will not taper off when the battery is full. It is not kind to batteries. If the voltage regulator works, I would consider keeping it.

If the generator is 3 brush and it is a regulator fitted then there may have been a small easy modification to the wiring to have the field excitation done externally doing away with the 3rd brush.

Steve

Now this makes sense, Steve.;)