Big end bearings for Series 14 - Landcruiser?

147 Franklin Airman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
15 hours ago, 147 Franklin Airman said:

Just to follow up, the CB1219G bearings are only available in the UK @ 0.010" undersize and I need a mortgage to buy them.

I have since obtained NOS Federal Mogul 9835 bearings @ 0.030" from the states. Just hoping the crank will be ok.

I don't understand your problem. CB1219G bearing number is a NAPA number and are available. There are many new ones listed on Ebay if you don't like the NAPA price. They are for a 1969-1987 Toyota Land Cruiser and usually come standard and metric undersizes. The Federal Mogul 9835 bearings are for a 1954 Pontiac. Your Franklin rods won't fit either bearing unless they are sized to fit them, (bored out), and they are both different outside dimensions with the lock tab on opposite sides. If your rods are sized to fit the Federal Mogul 9835 bearings, they won't fit the Toyota CB1219G bearings or vice versa. Please don't have your crank turned until you figure out what rod bearings and connecting rod machining you need to have done. Also, there is a specific squeeze that must be considered when sizing the rods.

Also, the rod bearing insert needs to be drilled to match the oil hole in the Franklin rod.

Hope this helps.

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)

Hi Hook

Thank you for your detailed explanation. So yes, my rods were machined for the Federal Mogul bearings but that was 60 years ago and I was hoping to fit more newer available ones. Toyota are asking for over $500 and I was going to look into relocating the lock tabs but will stick with the current ones just a little more undersize. 

I am aware of the oil passage hole. 

33 minutes ago, 147 Franklin Airman said:

Hi Hook

Thank you for your detailed explanation. So yes, my rods were machined for the Federal Mogul bearings but that was 60 years ago and I was hoping to fit more newer available ones. Toyota are asking for over $500 and I was going to look into relocating the lock tabs but will stick with the current ones just a little more undersize. 

I am aware of the oil passage hole. 

You can get the Toyota bearings for anywhere from 36 to 110 dollars new. That is if you don't deal with Toyota! However, they won't do you any good in rods machined for the Pontiac inserts. The OD of the Toyota inserts is different from the Pontiac inserts. In fact, the Toyota inserts are smaller OD than the Pontiac inserts. Your stuck with using the Pontiac inserts in those rods. The Pontiac inserts come in .001, .002, .010. .020 and .030 undersize. Also, the Toyota inserts use metric undersizes.

Bill

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)

On 12/9/2023 at 3:54 PM, hook said:

You can get the Toyota bearings for anywhere from 36 to 110 dollars new. That is if you don't deal with Toyota! However, they won't do you any good in rods machined for the Pontiac inserts. The OD of the Toyota inserts is different from the Pontiac inserts. In fact, the Toyota inserts are smaller OD than the Pontiac inserts. Your stuck with using the Pontiac inserts in those rods. The Pontiac inserts come in .001, .002, .010. .020 and .030 undersize. Also, the Toyota inserts use metric undersizes.

Bill

Thanks Bill

Would you know if the  Clevite CB-417M bearing is compatible with the Federal 9835 SA?

15 hours ago, 147 Franklin Airman said:

Thanks Bill

Would you know if the  Clevite CB-417M bearing is compatible with the Federal 9835 SA?

Sorry I can't help you. I have no cross reference for Clevite. Federal Mogul 9835, McQuay Norris 3787 and General Motors 505600 are the only numbers I have. Maybe someone on this website can help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...