I took the ‘35 Commander out for a spin today

37S2de

I am feeling badly about not being able to attend the Antique Studebaker Club / Studebaker Drivers Club meetings this week in Wisconsin.  I decided that today was the day to get the Commander down off the lift and cleaned up and on the road.

It has been a year to the day that I started a project to replace the king pins in this car and I have a whole series of threads on this forum documenting that process.  A knee replacement and other issues delayed anything happening until now.

I checked all the fluids and charged the battery and hit the electric fuel pump for a little while and turned that off and turned the key.  The Startix did its thing and the engine started on about the second revolution after being idle for a year.  What a sweet sound.  I did a brake check coming off the lift and all was good.

Some years ago Dick Quinn sent me an original owner”s manual for this car and I wanted to make sure the Freewheeling feature worked properly as I had never moved the knob since I bought the car.  It worked perfectly.  I did about twenty miles and it ran great. Good oil pressure and the temperature never got above 180.  And my newly machined king pins didn’t fail either, which I consider to be a good thing.  (Tongue very much in cheek.  These king pins probably better than original)

I’m sorry that I missed the meet, but I’m thinking about you guys and gals and maybe I’ll make it next year, where ever that might be

Tom

5B8500C4-4EB4-4C49-8FBC-9EBFC04C7BCF.jpeg

• Like 5