1953 Buick Special Gas Tank Drain

Ecampi

Recently purchased this beauty, very solid, no rust, California car. Had been stored in a warehouse for several years. Started the process of bringing her back to life. One thing she has a full gas tank. Looking under I found what appears to be a drain plug. Also looks like someone previously tried and failed to remove the plug. My question, should I make an attempt to remove the plug to drain the tank or use another means? Being a gas tank the methods to loosen a stuck bolt/plug are some what more limited then other locations. Any thoughts? Anyone been faced with the same issue? Thanks.IMG_5909.jpg.9f0c49cddbf8155ee376b1aa0eaa0a47.jpgIMG_1511.jpeg.ba17a25f38cb696fda349acd20205d66.jpeg

• Like 1

Been there, done that. I'd leave that tank drain alone. If you can get a wrench on a typical drain plug and get it to turn with a reasonable amount of effort, fine. Otherwise you're just asking for trouble especially if the tank is intact and doesn't leak. Siphon as much gas out as you can, drop the tank, remove the sending unit, drain the remaining fuel out, inspect the inside of the tank and go from there. A bit more work but it's not worth ruining anything IMO. Are you sure the tank is full? Maybe just a bad ground or connection. 

• Like 3

If you are lucky enough to get the plug out, you still will not know the inside condition of the tank.  I would first try to remove the plug, if that fails, siphon as much as you can, then remove the tank and do as much maintenance as necessary, such as clean, possibly coat it, and maybe change the sending unit as a precaution.  

It takes no talent, just perseverance and a workout.  I am seventy four and can still do it, its just getting harder to get back up off the floor when you are done.

• Like 1

UPDATE: I have a hand pump so I stuck a hose in the filler tube and pumped everything out. Bad gas and rust. Next I will pull the tank, pull the sending unit and clean it. If it’s serviceable I’ll coat it and go from there. If not I’ll be looking for a new tank. 

• Like 2

The coatings I have used in the past work pretty well even with rusty tanks.  Sometimes you can get the tank reconditioned, and sometimes you can get a new one made, but they are pricey.  There are options, but it takes awhile to figure out the best one.  Good luck in sorting it out.

On 9/7/2023 at 11:11 PM, Ecampi said:

UPDATE: I have a hand pump so I stuck a hose in the filler tube and pumped everything out. Bad gas and rust. Next I will pull the tank, pull the sending unit and clean it. If it’s serviceable I’ll coat it and go from there. If not I’ll be looking for a new tank. 

I had excellent results on our '41 Caddy with a company called Gas Tank Re-Nu

• Like 2