Trying to ID a differential

ice man

I purchased a second GS-340 many years ago but never paid a lot of attention to things underneath. Now, I have noticed it's a limited slip rear end. After checking my option chart for '67 , limited slip was not an option for those vehicles. Now I'm wondering what was installed in place of the original? Here is what I've determined so far. First off, I've cleaned the entire right axle tube to try to find any readable code numbers and have found nothing. If there were, they got destroyed by jack stands. The cast body has 10 bolts and the 2 larger chunks at 5 &7 indicating it's an 8.5". The cover is oval with the large scalloped recesses at 9 and 3, which was used on 8.2's. The cover also has small arrow protrusions outward at 6and 12 and the bottom bolts are 3" on center.  On the casting is the cast clock (indicating 1 and pointer at 6) followed by 35. Further down the case is #1235187 or maybe the 8 is a 9. Continuing around the bottom going up is CFO or O is a D. There is also three big 1" A's. One on top and one by each axle tube. Axle tubes are 3" dia. Pinion nut is 1-1/4",  Ring gear has # 2344746--41-16  GMC  W and held on with 10 hex bolts. I didn't count teeth or measure ring gear. I just would like to know what the hell vehicle this rear came out of. Any info you folks can supply would be much appreciated. Oh, it also has what looks like original coil spring perches. 

Thanks 

Brad: Posi was available in '67 but not for the GS-340. As far as pictures, I'm lucky to have gotten the write-up posted " OLD SCHOOL"

It's definitely a 10 bolt for sure, just don't know out of what. When I measured between the backing plates I came up with 55-1/4 inches. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but it would be nice to know if it's Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Chevy or GMC small truck as some trucks had coil springs.

John, no C-clips on Buicks is a step in the right direction. Pictures would help if I knew how to do it.  The cover is scalloped at the 3 and 9 o-clock positions which from what I've read, indicates an 8.2. My housing indicates an 8.5 because of those extra square chunks in the casting at the 5 and 7 o-clock positions. I assume then that an 8.2 cover can bolt to an 8.5 differential?? I'll work on pictures but thanks so far.

Tom G

I took several pictures of my differential with my I-phone and thought maybe there was an easier way to post pictures up here thru my phone. Well, can anyone tell me why I can sign in on my computer to post but when I try to sign in from my phone I can't, using the same username and password??

Tom G