Question on 1934 233 Not Idling

Daves1940Buick56S

This is my buddy Irv's 1934 Special. Previously we worked through a starvation problem that ultimately turned out to be a ton of crud in the gas tank and lines. With that out of the way, now the engine runs but refuses to idle. It has to be at 1000 rpm or more. The idle circuit in the EE-1 carb is basically out of the picture at this rpm. When it is running I am getting intermittent missing. The weirdest thing is that as choke is applied after I lower the idle speed the engine speeds up. Usually choking a hot engine results in rough running and stall.

I have already overhauled the carb and distributor. Distro bench tested ok to 3000 rpm. New wires. Vac advance overhauled. Compression is good. I know the valves desperately need adjustment, but we haven't gotten that far yet.

So I am thinking one of two things: My carb overhaul got trashed by additional crud as we were T/S the fuel issue, and/or a massive vacuum leak somewhere. This last is prompted by the strange choke behavior.

Anyone want to weigh in before I pull the carb (again)?

Cheers, Dave

• 3 months later...

Dose the fuel pump have the glass bowl type filter? My 35 has that plus another glass bowl type before the carb.and an in line filter by the gas tank. Always run non ethanol gas.So far so good. I installed a new accelerator pump a year ago and rebuilt my fuel pump.Runs good now. Mines a 41 series sedan,what's your friends?