Buick Straight 8-263

ceaser

Hey All

I am trying to help a client of mine in rebuilding a Straight 8-263 Motor or getting him a already Remanufactured Motor but ended with NIL results.

Came across this forum and thought i might get any pointers from you all buick lovers.

Appreciate any leads.

Cheers

Ceaser

Where (generally) is the car located?  What year is the car?  What is the condition of the 263 - does it run?  What is the budget?  You're probably not going to find a rebuilt 263 'on the shelf' anywhere, unless it was part of an otherwise abandoned restoration.  Can you post pictures of the engine and the serial number?

• Like 1

The most likely guy to help you in Texas is @Pete Phillips. Hopefully he will chime in here. If not, you can probably find his contact information easily since he is the Editor of the Buick Club of America's Buick Bugle magazine. Other than that, about the only source where you can probably find a complete running motor to swap into the car would be Dave Tacheny. Dave sells 1936-1941 Buick parts. He can best be reached by calling 763-427-3460 between 4 and 7 pm Central. 

• Like 2

Follow the 2 leads in MCHinson's post and you probably won't be disappointed. I'm not surprised you can't find rebuilt, but a core or maybe a usable used engine shouldn't be too tough.

What do you mean by dual intake? 2 barrel carburetor, or dual carburetor? If dual carburetor, be sure to hang on to those parts. They are pricey, and if memory serves, would have come on a 248 originally in about 1940 or 41. The 263 began around 1950(?). Also any unbroken exhaust manifold is a good thing to have.

29 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Follow the 2 leads in MCHinson's post and you probably won't be disappointed. I'm not surprised you can't find rebuilt, but a core or maybe a usable used engine shouldn't be too tough.

What do you mean by dual intake? 2 barrel carburetor, or dual carburetor? If dual carburetor, be sure to hang on to those parts. They are pricey, and if memory serves, would have come on a 248 originally in about 1940 or 41. The 263 began around 1950(?). Also any unbroken exhaust manifold is a good thing to have.

Thank you. Will follow the 2 leads

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

The most likely guy to help you in Texas is @Pete Phillips. Hopefully he will chime in here. If not, you can probably find his contact information easily since he is the Editor of the Buick Club of America's Buick Bugle magazine. Other than that, about the only source where you can probably find a complete running motor to swap into the car would be Dave Tacheny. Dave sells 1936-1941 Buick parts. He can best be reached by calling 763-427-3460 between 4 and 7 pm Central. 

Tried reaching Dave multiple times but RNR. Will keep trying. Thank you

2 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

I have a 1940 248 and also a 1953 263. The '53 has a Dynaflow transmission attached. Crankshafts are slightly different between the automatic and the standard shift cars.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

Hi

What would be the number to reach you.

Thanks

Ceaser

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2023 at 11:02 AM, Pete Phillips said:

I have a 1940 248 and also a 1953 263. The '53 has a Dynaflow transmission attached. Crankshafts are slightly different between the automatic and the standard shift cars.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX.

I'm also interested in preferably the 263 but may also consider the 248, can you provide more details on condition of each such as how complete each are and issues if any. Best to email me michael.stumpf@bigpond.com

I just ran the numbers on the engine I brought back from Chicago last week. I was told it was a 263. Turns out, it is a 248 from 1949, with Dynaflow attached. Engine turns and includes everything except the air cleaner. I dont' think it is a very high mileage engine, but don't know for sure. (first two photos)

The other engine I have is a 263 from 1953, with standard transmission attached (third photo). It won't turn over, but has been indoors and just needs the pistons soaked in Marvel Mystery Oil. Both engines are located in Bonham, Texas 75418

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG