Would you use a NOS GM 1940-48 convertible top on your restoration ??

bwbugay

I have found this  NOS GM  Chevrolet convertible top  in a GM box . I believe it is for 1940-48 and probably fits all GM models of this time period.  Top top material is still soft and pliable but the small Vinyl   type panels are kind of stiff .   

Would you use it on a restored vehicle??   Could not get any more authentic  then that !!!

It would also be  very good for a pattern !!

DSCN5218.JPG

DSCN5221.JPG

DSCN5220.JPG

My opinion: Don't use it. maybe good for patterns, but the folds will always be seen and the stain may not come out. I would guess you have nothing to lose by trying, but to do it over when the stain stays and stays is the worst part. It may also have shrunk sitting in the box all those years...

Frank

• Like 2

Do some measuring before trying to install.  1940 chevrolet top is all by its self, same with a 1941.  1942 - 1948 should be the same but check first.

• Like 1

Fabric tends to shrink with time. You can see it on old convertibles where the edges are pulling away from the frame. I doubt you could get this one to fit a car if you wanted to. The shrinkage is uneven which is why it is not good for a pattern. You could glean such details as general dimensions, where the seams go, and how the seams are sewn. Definitely worth saving as an artifact but no use to put on a car.

• Like 2

Great asa reference, no good for pattern as mentioned.

Have a friend with a 1950s Cadillac convertible.  He bought a boot, needed snaps installed.  Boot sat in a box for 20 years, it shrunk.

I think, tugging on one side to try to get room for snap, the other side of the car may have lifted a little…..

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1