1916 D-45 Engine Noise

redbaron1930

Hi;

After 10 years of use and never having had the engine apart (I don't know when of if it was ever worked on). The engine on my 1916 buick is making a worrisome noise. It is not a characteristic knock but sounds more like a low dull rattle deep within the motor (seems like in the middle). It is worse under load, but can be heard intermittently at idle. I am resigned to taking it apart but what was wondering if anyone had encountered a similar noise and can give advice as to what to look for? As always .Thanks!

Andy

A loose rod bearing is most common but a heavier thud noise could be loose main bearing(s). Other things to check is piston pins- if they still have the cotter pin lock especially. Basically, when you are in there, check everything!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, redbaron1930 said:

Thanks! At this point I am suspicious of a main bearing problem but my guess it this is a well worn engine and I'll be doing a complete rebuild. When I got the car 14 years ago speedometer said almost 40,000 (a lot of miles for this vintage!)

40000 miles 14 years ago....what does odometer say now?  14 years of use with no rebuild or babbits is a pretty good run with such an old car.

Edited by IFDPete
Wording (see edit history)
  • Like 1