1940 Special 8 - Gauge Plastics

dave_1940buick

Sorry for the delay.  I have posted links to two places in my "Me and My Buick" thread that deal with my rebuilding of the gauges.  (click on arrow in upper right hand corner to get to the right post.)  If you have the patience to poke around some more, you will find others.  I started out thinking that I would have to use reproduction plastic.  When I started, a full set was still being sold by Bob's, but I don't think they are available any more.  I got a speedo face off of Ebay, and I bought one of the "bowtie" plastic pieces from Doug Seybold in Ohio (440-835-1193).   I also started buying up used gauges on Ebay, which come up quite often, as well as NOS gauge heads for the charge indicator and temperature gauge, which were completely fried on my car.

Once I got into the project, however, I found that the reproduction plastic parts that I had were a noticeably different color than the originals.  They had a kind of greenish tinge instead of the creamy, ivory tone of the originals.  So I ended up using the best original "bowtie" piece from my collection of parts.  They do tend to yellow with age, but a little rubbing compound helps to get them looking good again.  Then, at the last minute, I was super fortunate to find a NOS speedo face on Ebay for $35!  So that's what worked for me.  Good luck, and feel free to DM me if you have any questions that I might be able to help with.

speedo_face.jpg.50c8e03d3e66a570c3bad6918e11bf85.jpg

• Like 1

Watch your speedometer. Yours is the 1940 speedometer which goes to 110 MPH and all of the replacements are for the 1941 - 1947 speedometers which look exactly the same but go to 120. And yours says "Bright Lights" on the bottom but the 1941-47 has the bright light indicator on the top. 

• Like 1