Removing Console Trim Plate

minor4326

For my 1991 the workshop manual pg 8C-13 says to "unseat two clips at front of plate assembly". I've tried to firmly lift the trim plate using plastic tools and even a screw driver to no avail. Does this piece lift up vertically or pull back toward the rear of the car.  I suspect it lifts but can't do it without fear of breaking. Any hints or tricks? I'd sure like some instructions from people who have removed this piece.  Thanks.

Someone will help with this but the front has two screws that must be accessed by removing the trim at the front of the console...

That is the trim around the storage hole (if you have a factory CD that surround)

• Like 1

I got the top two clips out but real trouble with the bottom part. Seems as though the thin chrome surround ir not attached to the sides but it is connected to the top. I got the black plastic part separated from the chrome at the side but again, not from the top. The black piece separates (pulls out) quite a lot. I'm not even sure what the clips are attached to, or where they're located. Sure could use some help. 

The black and chrome pieces are removed together. My '90 is in Texas so I'll go from memory. You have the two screws out at the dash end but there is a screw towards the back in the ash tray area. 

For some reason I also think something has to be done with the console, but I can't remember.

Still need help. I'm afraid this is fragile and will break easily that's why I haven't put a ton of pressure to lift the plastic piece. I'm working with two pieces one around the shift lever that goes back to the armrest and the other a cover around the CD player and a shelf. Which comes off first, or do I need both of them off? As the pictures show I got the top and bottom of the surround for the CD loose and I've got the back of the piece surrounding the shift lever. Or it seems stuck is in the curved spot where it transitions from horizontal to Vertical by the shift lever. Is it just plain brute force or is there a screw or more screws. I am so afraid of breaking this thing.

Compress_20230804_191926_6568.jpg

Compress_20230804_191926_6413.jpg

Compress_20230804_191926_6248.jpg

Gaining access to the area under the CD player was a PITA. I was fishing an ethernet cable attached to my radio used to turn on the newly acquired function of Bluetooth compatability. I wanted the switch to be secured to a hole in the ashtray. 
I tried multiple times to pry-up the front clips, but they didn't want to come easily and I didn't want to break anything. I ended up opening the fuse/relay access cover on the passenger side transmission tunnel and punched the closest clip halfway out with a screwdriver. That gave me a little bit more room to work using a metal pry tool (for getting out plastic clips). I attacked it within the confines of the shift lever area, going directly to the clip. The added raised height enabled me to go over a small vertical obstruction so I could go directly next to the clip itself. When I got those clips out I removed the black plastic portion without the chrome piece which I pried out afterwards. That gave me access to the two screws that held the tape player cover and shelf.

Compress_20230807_121637_7057.jpg

Compress_20230807_121636_6214.jpg

Compress_20230807_121636_6543.jpg

Compress_20230807_121636_6674.jpg

• Like 1