MY old dealership!

This is a photo taken some time in the mid to late 70"s of my dealership called Lennertz Oldsmobile-Honda in Merrillville, Indiana. I am guessing it was around March as inventory was very low (I reduced inventory as low as I could due to property tax in Indiana). Someone wanted my album of my dealership ictures going back to the 50's more than I did and liberated them at a car show. I just found this picture by accident.

Lennertz in the 70's.jpg

• Like 8

GREAT. I come from generations of masons who built with brick, block and stone - concrete foundations etc. I am the first generation not to use a trowel as an every day tool.

I love architecture of any era, and taught classes to a gifted and talented class about this for decades. ( at the end of months long classes they all had their own buildings/houses that they made that were about 14 " x 14 " x 10 " high)   40 + years ago I wrote the laws and illustrated a booklet for architectural review guidelines for our incorporated village that was adopted into law. Automotive related architecture is just wonderful.

The building that is in NY City that was the dealership for Hispano Suiza still exists. Toyota of Manhattan may still be using the former Rollston/Rollson coach work building on the west side of Manhattan as well to sell new cars.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 7:04 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

I am guessing it was around March as inventory was very low (I reduced inventory as low as I could due to property tax in Indiana).

In 1969 I worked for the Santa Clara County California Assessors Office. On the property tax lien date one of our auditors went to the rail yards to see if the railroads or shippers were attempting to hide box cars. The auditor would make a record of any stray box cars he sighted to be sure the contents were assessed. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2023 at 10:04 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

This is a photo taken some time in the mid to late 70's of my dealership called Lennertz Oldsmobile-Honda in Merrillville, Indiana.

Is the main building still there?

What is it being used for now?

Is the surrounding area still rural, or much more

built up?  Some parts of the country, especially

near cities, would be unrecognizable after 40 years;

in other areas, very little would have changed.