how to adjust the rear shoes on a 1938 dodge

hi I'm finding very hard to turn the rear hub on the dodge i h adjusted the front wheels as they are very Easey  and as the wheel turns you have a feel for the main adjusters on the bottom  once you get that feal while spinning the wheel  i.e. hub then one can adjust the secondary adjusters   to just   .But back to the rear a different story  What help can you give me  please .......John

Do you have the rear end jacked up off the floor and the parking brake off? There will be more friction and momentum than the front wheels because you are turning both wheels and/or the drive shaft, but it should be the same procedure as for the front wheels.

• Like 1

Adjusting the rears made me crazy. I couldn’t tell where I was in respect of in or out? Finally took off both drums to get it right. Took my time, read 2 different publications regarding adjusting and nailed it.

• Like 1

Finely got it i was working on the right rear and then slackened off the 4  adjusters  and put the hub back on .Then went to the left rear and removed the wheel   slackened off the adjusters  and removed the hub  Went back to the right rear and low and behold i can spin quiet  Easey now and carry out the adjustments  .What i found very important  is the fact that i should have 2 weeks push down on the brake pedal as i have found the brake cylinders have become stuck and a lot of contamination  coming from them  there is a lessen to keep the cups moving  haven't used the care for a year  .Run the motor periodically and that's good  thanks for answering my problem    Regards john

• 7 months later...

Part of the problem in adjusting might be that the shoes have not been arced/fitted to the drums. 

• Like 2