Progress report on 34 Dodge Aero Brougham sedan

It's been an eventful 18 months since Jack M. & Keiser helped drag the car out of Jack's trailer into my garage with frozen brakes with all the dust from many years in storage & unknown issues yet to be discovered. During that time I have grown to greatly appreciate the help offered by many members with tips, hints & advice on how to achieve the goal of making this old lady a reliable driver, thus avoiding a full ground up restoration. Besides, I'm not young enough to endure the time it would take & certainly not willing to spend the money necessary to accomplish such an endeavor.

The lessons learned dealt with my constant frustrations with long ago, previous owner(s), I refer to as DIY'ers, (not Jack or Dave), but since I am a DIYer, I should refrain from it being a negative thing. Most people do with what they have at the time & the constraints of available resources. Fortunately, I have been able to overcome most of the issues & am thankful the car was stored & not junked, which could have very easily happened during WW11, or just for lack of storage.

"I wonder how they did this at the factory" was my constant mantra after digging my way out of difficult challenges, (too many to list), but that is the intriguing part of preserving an 89 year old work of art.

While there are still many little projects left to keep me busy, I can now conclude that my original "Hankering" has been satisfied beyond expectations. Many thanks to all who have participated in this grand folly, (you know who you are). 

P1010201.JPG

P1010204.JPG

P1010200.JPG

P1010203.JPG

P1010202.JPG

P1010205.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, keiser31 said:

So glad you get to enjoy the work you did! It has come a long way. Is that last photo at the Father's Day meet in Yreka?

Yes. This is the Dodge's 2nd year at the show. I finally got a photo after the crowd thinned out. There were over 200 cars this year & is the last year the current promoters are going to be involved, after 40 years. I think the Elks Club may have an interest going forward. The goal to make the show was to get the side mount fenders & hardware sorted out, which meant I really needed to remove fenders, radiator shell hood & related parts. I also came up with a painting template for the artillery wheels. I tried  2 colors to get some perspective for a possible future color scheme.

P1010179.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JACK M said:

I noticed the two different side mount colors.

Figured you had some kind of plan working.

I've been working on a vinyl sticky-back stencil, (boat name material), instead of masking tape like I used for the blue one. Too much bleed through at the edges. The stencil worked great, with no bleed through on the maroon wheel. I had the 2 side mount wheels sandblasted & powder coated primed. It made my rattle can paint job turn out better than expected.

P1010196.JPG

• Like 2