Wooden wheels

BuickTom87

So the finish on my wooden wheels is starting to fade . Any suggestions on how to refinish these ? 

After I refinish them. What’s the oil you’re supposed to wipe them down with . I’ve been told a few times. 

On 6/19/2023 at 8:42 AM, BuickTom87 said:

what do you use to treat the wood

The 13 Model 31 Buick in the previous photo was in very good shape when I got the car.  There were no serious cracks or deterioration found in the wood spokes.  However, there was evidence of squeaking spokes that needed to be tightened where they came through the felloe.  The ends of each spoke were drilled with a 1/4" bit to the depth of the felloe.  Two drops of "Wood Swell" (used by furniture restorers to tighten chair legs etc.) were added to each hole.  The holes were then filled with Linseed Oil and plugged with 22 caliber shell casings.  These spokes have not squeaked in over 30 years.

The spokes were then sanded smooth and brush painted with two coats of Marine Varnish and are still in good shape.  I had the wood spokes and metal felloes media blasted before using the same finish on my 1915 Buick Speedster (photo below).

1915 Buick at Museum  1.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 6/19/2023 at 11:42 AM, BuickTom87 said:

Thank you , what do you use to treat the wood . Any tips or recommendations 

Once sealed with varnish, treatment isn't really possible.   For bare wood a mix of warm linseed oil, turpentine and pine tar is a good treatment and, (to me), look fine.