My 55 Sunliner is definitely getting a Y block again

junkyardjeff

A couple years ago I picked up a running 55 272 but I really wanted to go larger,I do know of a 60 312 in a local junkyard but the trouble to get it out of the car would be massive so when I found out about this rebuilt 292 with about 2000 miles I had to grab it.  Not going back with a original automatic trans and since my car presently has a C-4 I am going to order a adapter Monday,going to leave the 2 bbl on it for now and will be getting the 60s pcv system.  When it does get changed to a 4 bbl it will then get the 57 better ratio rocker arms,it does have a T-5 adapter so if I can get the 55 2 door sedan I found reasonable the 55 272 and my T-5 could go in it.  There is a 64 292 in that picture I picked up for that pcv system and a rear sump oil pan along with the truck timing chain cover as I thought about putting that 272 in a 40 Ford but that 55 should be able to be had much cheaper than a 40

IMG_20230610_142639650.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Jeff,

How's that stick-shift '65 Mercury 'breezeway' working out these days?

Steve

Doing fine and now has a dual exhaust,just found a driveshaft I can cut down so I can install a regular 3 speed while the overdrive is getting rebuilt.

• Thanks 1

At 78 I can remember when a lot of Y-Block fords were around.   If I remember correctly when installing the timing chain the marks were off set in one direction a certain number of teeth.  If this is correct ,you might check your engines to see if they are in time before

you bend the valves, " just  sayin"