AC out (again)... I still love my Reatta

Reattatude

Now

its getting too hot for just windows down (and the passenger side is on the fritz as well. I have asserted the system has been updated from the older 1989 freon

So after a attempted re-charge failed who can point me in the direction of a DIY solution's ??

Also, not certain whats going on with this: I have to unplug the blower at the firewall, it just stays on even with the ignition off - kinda hard on the battery...

If it has been converted to 134A, the connections for gauges and charging should be a different size/style. What are you using to recharge the system and do you have a gauge?

The blower running is almost certainly a failed blower module. Located on top of the air plenum to the heater. Above and left of the blower motor when looking directly at the blower.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reattatude said:

Also, not certain whats going on with this: I have to unplug the blower at the firewall, it just stays on even with the ignition off - kinda hard on the battery...

Just went through this on my wife's '93 Allante'.  Had to replace the blower "Power Module".  Located in the plenum as @2seater described.  Don't wast your time on of the cheap offshore clones on Ebay.  The one I bought was a brick...  I got a Delco one from Rock Auto that works.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=85822&cc=1019900&pt=6557&jsn=874&_nck=Ekt6BqBF1pwlXdx0gYlm1esw98pF26vehMm%2FGG3C%2Fl2QOXSJubi7WSpUmUSdg3OxWOs2f5z9h422EONy36O0PjCuaadDqI1r86y%2FvJ1lBqxeBNhI9mMX8J0jIvc2PdNO3nlEwo2eopj3gto7weBgCXo5u3WlWVhWC2hFp%2FZbSIT%2F3cm82Ru0I3g27uCsIWnlxkTTRPDYCb29cJmpdmWiPYarsAfIBhFi0YHYD2VybKI8gul4eudQvPz7agrPINh3UQNlISffI5gC9kmSmpSSC85utN3orbLR5Se2EMlmP7u5O1OpZK3h2MX8Si%2Bv%2FNRlcNUhUfGT6dlS40jOdqVBKrRR85wTjdGgaepKKl1gsEQI%2FtKEklPPBLtFKId5uuZO&jsn=874&_nck=Ekt6BqBF1pwlXdx0gYlm1esw98pF26vehMm%2FGG3C%2Fl2QOXSJubi7WSpUmUSdg3OxWOs2f5z9h422EONy36O0PjCuaadDqI1r86y%2FvJ1lBqxeBNhI9mMX8J0jIvc2PdNO3nlEwo2eopj3gto7weBgCXo5u3WlWVhWC2hFp%2FZbSIT%2F3cm82Ru0I3g27uCsIWnlxkTTRPDYCb29cJmpdmWiPYarsAfIBhFi0YHYD2VybKI8gul4eudQvPz7agrPINh3UQNlISffI5gC9kmSmpSSC85utN3orbLR5Se2EMlmP7u5O1OpZK3h2MX8Si%2Bv%2FNRlcNUhUfGT6dlS40jOdqVBKrRR85wTjdGgaepKKl1gsEQI%2FtKEklPPBLtFKId5uuZO

Note that replacing the power module didn't fix my Allante'.  There was also a problem with the command from the BCM to the power module.  Seems coincidental, but I suspect the power module might have damaged the BCM.  Hopefully all you need is the power module.

Changing subjects, why did the recharge fail?  I also just went through this (sucessfully) on the Allante'.  See here: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/393452-my-wifes-polo-green-1993-allante/#comment-2536996

The Allante' shop manual states that an uncapped low-side service port will leak refrigerant over time through the Schrader valve.

16 hours ago, 2seater said:

If it has been converted to 134A, the connections for gauges and charging should be a different size/style. What are you using to recharge the system and do you have a gauge?

The blower running is almost certainly a failed blower module. Located on top of the air plenum to the heater. Above and left of the blower motor when looking directly at the blower.

16 hours ago, 2seater said:

A local shop tried to charge it, I would add it was kinda done On the Fly between him talking on his phone and barking orders to his other workers. I wont be back, lol.

So, I should get this module, check. I do not have any gauges but I would still like to at least attempt repair before succumbing to the another local shop or the dealer where I know I will get fleeced. 

15 hours ago, EmTee said:

Just went through this on my wife's '93 Allante'.  Had to replace the blower "Power Module".  Located in the plenum as @2seater described.  Don't wast your time on of the cheap offshore clones on Ebay.  The one I bought was a brick...  I got a Delco one from Rock Auto that works.

The Allante' shop manual states that an uncapped low-side service port will leak refrigerant over time through the Schrader valve.

So not recommend to get one from eBay huh?  Well, if I  can get the blower to operate correctly thats one step in the right direction.

The AC worked really well the first few years I had the car.

At a bare minimum you need at least a low side(suction) gauge to get a feel of the charge in the system and see what happens when a/c is requested. Any and all ports will leak refrigerant if the required cap is not installed, and if the “O” ring is missing in the cap it will still leak even if the cap is installed. If there is no charge in the system then the leak must be found and repaired before the system is properly evacuated and recharged. Proper tools are required to figure out what’s going on. 
karl