Delco Remy distributor identification

Anthony Shook

I have an NOS Delco Remy distributor I need to know what it fits & value? 20230429_1022102.jpg.0a6a36f456ca12f95c9d295dd5ea7382.jpg20230427_1130322.jpg.5cd33301c90317e045a5b1739b1f0b75.jpg20230427_1129032.jpg.1946f47c84e2a2dd7b6eeb8769437b3a.jpgI think a Corvair, but unsure. #1110258/1E17. I also have a Packard ignition system I'd like to get identified and a value. It's dated 1912-1915 for 12 cylinders. I have pictures of both if anyone can help. Stay Safe Everyone!

Yes it's actually NOS just improperly stored for 50 years. I cleaned out an entire salvage yard in Maryland in 2004 and it was just in a box of other parts. It just needs cleaned up a little bit from laying around. My wife passed away 8 years ago and I'm just now going through stuff. Thank you & Stay Safe!

8 minutes ago, Anthony Shook said:

t just needs cleaned up a little bit from laying around.

If you list it for sale online, be careful saying it's NOS after it's cleaned up, because the 6 sided cam lobe will still be pitted and any pits will destroy the rubbing block on the points very quickly.....it may lead to reversal of payment if sold online. or bad feedback on ebay etc

I think your Packard distributor system is for a dual ignition system for a 6 cyl,firing two sparkplugs at the same time in the same cylinder. They didn't come out with the twin 6(V-12) until late 1915 in hurried response to the new Cadillac V-8 that year. It does have some pretty good value,I can't tell you how much tho. Seems like there was a WANTED ad for one of those recently,maybe on the Horseless Carriage Site.

17 hours ago, Anthony Shook said:

I also have a Packard ignition system I'd like to get identified and a value. It's dated 1912-1915 for 12 cylinders.

This is definitely an early Packard Twin Six (V12) distributor. Five different distributors had been used on the Twin Six Packards between 1915 and 1923.

A four digit ID number is usually stamped to the housing around the flange (see example below).

The numbers are:

5128 - 1915-16 1st Series Twin Six

5149 - 1916-17 2nd Series Twin Six

5161 - 1918-20 3rd Series Twin Six

5220 - 1920-21 3rd Series Twin Six

5238 - 1921-23 3rd Series Twin Six

All distributors are interchangeable and perform the same so yours could be used on any early Twin Six Packard.

In particular, 5128 is using Twist’n’Lock type distributor caps instead of clip secured caps. Therefore the 5128 housing has no clip supports.

All 2nd and 3rd Series distributors used the same housing and contained the same internal parts. They just used different oilers, resistance units and cover plates or they came with Auxiliary Breaker Assemblies in addition (5220 & 5238) for cars factory equipped with Fuelizers. Auxiliary Breaker Assemblies and corresponding intake manifolds were also sold separately to retrofit earlier cars.

F1D911C6-42B7-4135-869E-324EAD70D5EE.jpeg

• Like 1

The first Twin Six distributor appeared in 1915 and they technically remained the same until 1923. So no innovations newer than 1915, I conclude. I assume four inventions that Delco held patents of for battery ignition systems were implemented in this distributor. 

Regarding the value, keep in mind that people usually don‘t need an entire distributor. They particularly need the wearing parts, such as points, caps, rotors and condensers. So you should get more for a set of NOS caps and rotors than for a used distributor. What‘s the condition of your caps? Are they worn and/or cracked?

Around 30‘000 Twin Six Packards had been made between 1915 and 1923 and a good number of them survived.

I have eight of these distributors in stock (….and a 2nd Series engine, which becomes a bar table in my workshop 🙂). As a reference, depending on the condition, I paid $500-$750 per distributor (quite a few years ago). Except for the one distributor, which was NOS and complete,  I paid more. Personally I would not spend more than $1‘000 on a good used, complete Twin Six distributor with clean and usable caps and rotors today. I consider $750 a fair price for your distributor (my opinion). Keep the focus on the condition of the caps and find at least two people that need a distributor….😉

Best of luck.

4 hours ago, Anthony Shook said:

Why does the patent date stop at 1915?? According to your numbers it's 1920-21.

When approved by the U.S. patent office, a patent date is issued for a new and useful improvement. It doesn't have anything to do with the date the improvement is put to use.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anthony Shook said:

also have this distributor I'd like to find out what it fits and maybe a value.

Appears to be a Nash to me.

Look for the 4-digit unit number on the housing and I can tell for sure.