1928 Chrysler Model 72 Roadster Hood Hardware Plated?

In this photo it shows the hood handles, hood hooks and the hardware where they clip onto plated.  I don't believe that was the case.  Can someone please advise.

Brown 90.jpg

Leo,

The tops of mine are nickel and the parts they screw into are black. Whether or not that is correct is up for debate.

Bill

I would say that something coming forward from 1926 to 1927 like the Model 70 to the Model 72 would be a good example of what was originally there as viv w has pointed out.

Continuing this discussion, all these parts are riveted in place.  The rivets will need to be drilled out and replaced after the plating is done.  Anyone know the correct type or a replacement source?

I have looked at my cars and at a lot of pictures I have gathered over the years.

The hood hardware on my original  26 G70 hood has as follows:-

Hood handles nickel plated.

Parts attached to hood all nickel plated except for the square nuts.  Hood latch parts are attached to the hood with nickel plated round head slotted machine screws, these screws are 3/16 diameter unf, overall length 5/8 or threaded length behind the heads are approx 1/2 in. They have 7/16 unplated square nuts (rusty) with spring washers.

My hood latch handles are missing, but pics I have of other cars show all parts are nickel plated except the tube part that is painted black.

On my 28 series 62 roadster ALL hood parts and the hood handles are painted, there is NO sign of any parts having been plated.

The pics I have of series G70 show all the parts exactly as for my series G70, however, as the series 72 seems to be more upmarket for the era, I would think some may have had the tube part on the hood latches plated. I have no real close up pics of the series 72 hood parts, so they may have been rivetted on, not sure.

To chime in, on a Series 65 the hood locks are chromed as found on several parts cars, whilst the cups attached to the hood itself appear to have been painted. I did power hammer aluminum rivets on one hood and used cheater rivet-look-a-like bolts with locknuts on the back on another. The last version was most durable..

• Like 1