1929 DA exterior door lock

I just got an old '29 DA exterior door handle w/ lock & key from eBay. It looks to be in great shape. From what I remember when the door is locked the handle just swivels and when it's unlocked the handle engages w/ the strike plate mechanism to open the door. With this handle no matter how I turn the key the handle just swivels around. I hate to mess w/ this cylinder as the handle is made of pot metal. Any ideas?

56 minutes ago, Bob Zetnick said:

From what I remember when the door is locked the handle just swivels and when it's unlocked the handle engages w/ the strike plate mechanism to open the door.

Most locking handles from that era, the handle gets locked solid to the outer escutcheon plate.  (The handle cannot turn when locked) When unlocked, it's only then when the handle can rotate.   

As far as antitheft deterrents, that escutcheon plate cannot rotate if the 2 screws are removed to defeat the door handle lock to steal the car because there are 1/4" long guide tubes that are part of the escutcheon plate going into the door skin holes (that the screws go through).  And, you cannot just pull the handle and escutcheon outwards a bit so it can turn, because the square-drive shaft is interlocked to the latch as another theft deterrent. You have to fiddle with partially rotating the latch piece about 45 degrees to allow the square shaft to finally release and have the handle be removable.  The door needs to be open to do that as further theft deterrent.

• Like 1

Bob, you are quite correct. When in the "locked" state, the handle just swivels. When "unlocked", it engages with the mechanism to open the door. It does not lock to the escuteon plate. It is a while since I repaired mine,  and can't remember exactly how I went about it, other than slowly and carefully!!! I think I used some heat on parts of it, but as you commented, it is pot metal, so be carefull. My photo below MAY help.

John

DSC02376m.jpg

Edited by Bullfrog_eng
extra info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Bob, you are quite correct. When in the "locked" state, the handle just swivels. When "unlocked", it engages with the mechanism to open the door. It does not lock to the escuteon plate. It is a while since I repaired mine,  and can't remember exactly how I went about it, other than slowly and carefully!!! I think I used some heat on parts of it, but as you commented, it is pot metal, so be carefull. My photo below MAY help.

John

DSC02376m.jpg

John, thanks for the exploded view of the assembly.....I can't imagine what wrong w/ it as it is in such good shape and doesn't even need chroming. The only thing I can think of is perhaps that little spring. I may mess w/ it or just leave the car as is; unlocked.

Good luck Bob. I can't remember exactly how it all works now, but it was not quite what I expected at the time. Finished up OK though, if you are lucky yours may just need a good bit of lubrication and gentle manipulation.

• Like 1

Hi Bob; I too have a DA and my locking door handle operates like John describes: free wheeling when locked.  The only thing I can suggest at this time is to soak the locking mechanism in some penetrating oil and exercise it now and then. 

• Like 1

Pot metal when heated just a little bit swells up quite a lot. One could put a little heat on it, with say a heat gun and it might come loose for you. Pot metal is much tougher than most think. Sure, it will fall apart if you use an LP torch or the like; which one could use. However they'd be much safer with a little extra time and not so much instant heat. Just food for thought...

Edited by Potmetalman (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1