1931 Buick Model 96S correct fasteners for hood lace

31Buick96S

I'm wondering what to do about fastening the hood lace to the grill surround and cowl area on my 1931 Buick 96S.  I see that the vendors for hood lace say that most Buicks use split rivets in the nickel finish. That would work ok for the grill surround, but the back of the cowl area is on the inside of the car, way up under the dash.  I found a bag of sheet metal screws with some spare parts that came with car marked "hood lace screws for cowl".  Does anyone know what the correct fasteners are for the hood lace?

Originals were hand-set split rivets.  I replaced sheet-metal screws on cowl and radiator shell on my 31 8-66S.  Bob's online catalog lists all the stuff, catalog #67, Pg 80, lwr left column.  Call Bob's and order, don't trust online ordering or catalog contents, he sometimes does not have.

Bobs cat 67 pg80 cowl split rivets.png

• Thanks 1

I can't speak for 1931 cars.  On 1932 cars, the cowl hood lace was unusual as it had a double layer with a center hollow area.  A wire with threaded ends was inserted into the hollow area.  there were pieces of threaded rod soldered onto the ends.  these rods passed through the cowl at the bottom and a nut was screwed onto the ends to pull the lace down tight against the cowl.  no rivets or screws show.  The radiator lacing was installed with chrome split rivets throuh the radiator shell.

Bob Engle

• Thanks 1