1940 Lincoln Zepher Convertable - $80,000

Looks nice...I'd sure want lots more info....more pics in ad

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/lincoln-1940-lincoln-zepher-convertable/7619299900.html

Restored 1940 Lincoln convertible. Car is located near Lincoln, NE. Buyer pays for transportation to their site. The individual who restored the vehicle is not available and as a result not all the details about the vehicle are fully known. Please e-mail any questions you have about the restoration and we will answer to the best of our knowledge. The vehicle has not been driven for at least 6 months but is believed to be drivable at this time. The vehicle is titled (not a salvage title) in Lancaster County, Nebraska. Odometer reading is approximate to the current reading.  email;   5a72e51e4e533be0b202b0c9f9022335@sale.craigslist.org

1940 Lincoln Zepher Convertable 100808_dApOU83clWZ_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00505_d36jpIzITkq_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00p0p_qIV4Ew9Gys_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00m0m_hXBVWpVBusi_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00a0a_7I0sPos5AE1_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00d0d_hXjWFpQreEg_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

His price is dead on if we were still in 2003, 20 years on, I think it will take a while nice as this car is.  

60, 65k seems more like it but I still see big numbers on some 55-57 tbirds based on condition when many seem to trade at less than half of those exception cars so maybe I am wrong.

It does look like a very nice example.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Jeff I looked at it for a bit as well, I am more accustomed to the closed car interiors on these cars, which are different.  Also at first I was thinking vinyl but I think it may be leather.  Looks really bright but I think the pattern looks about right.

• Like 1

I see that "lipstick" red leather used all the time on those (ridiculous) TV shows. So I would imagine it is quite  popular.  However I don't think the color is a direct match to the original color.  But it looks good!  Is the V12 in the Zephyrs the problematic one?  The car looks good and there's no way you could restore it for 60 to 80 grand.

• Like 1

These engines don't develop as much power as some contemporary Full Classic alternatives and I believe overheating is common, but Lincoln guys have figured out some fixes for that.  The % of these with flathead Ford V8 or other conversions is pretty high.

Agree on resto costs like most any car.  Looks nice but experts could speak to the interior, etc.

Also bearing in mind the comment "hasn't run in 6 mos.".  For top end price it should be running and sorted but sounds like that is being left to the buyer.  It would be great if they listed anything experts might have done to improve driveability.

Still a great color combo over a great design.  I am on the fence though, on tan vs. Black for the top.  Refitting tops in black seems to be a trend now like blackwalls.  WWW definately is the tire you want on these Lincolns, imho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1957Birdman said:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but this car sure looks like a 1940 Lincoln Continental to me.

It is. 
the brand new car for 1940 rushed into production based on Edsel’s personal experimental was known in the literature as The Lincoln Zephyr Continental.

Convertible only style for 95% of the 1940 production year.  The Continental coupe added so late that they only made a few. 

The Continental was a big success, giving Lincoln the badly needed prestige after discontinuing the big K 12, that for 1941 Continental became its own model dropping the lower price Zephyr name. 

• Like 3