1925 model 25 future wheel replacement from 22" to 21"

nzwookie

Hi all. Down the track I will need to find new wheels for my 25 standard. Slim chance of finding 22" x 6" tyres right?

I am in New Zealand and still have plenty of tread on the old Lester white boys but they are perishing and the wooden spokes shrunk back on the rear wheels (managed to repair myself using water).

Any advice appreciated.

Pete.

nzwookie:

I have already sourced the 22" wheels for my 1925-25 that had 21" installed. I had to buy ALL the leftovers from a hot rod build of a 1925-26 coupe just to get the wheels. That included 5 new 600 X 22 BF Goodrich tires tubes and flaps. I have those wheels restored and striped.

DSC00866.JPG.923962eca9f83e6c6045dc66afb5ec46.JPG

I still have yet to switch over since I need to finish a useable spare carrier. My original was cut down to work with the 21"rim. As well as the license plate tail light bar. I got a great carrier ring with the parts that I had powder coated. The problem is that the coupe carrier is punched differently than a touring or sedan carrier. I am working on a rough/bent carrier from a  25-25.

DSC00721.JPG.3d06bcd26ca0d9274c0f55ee270c4c43.JPG

I do have some posts on how I tightened up my 21" wheels. Do a search and they should come up.

Stay with the 22" tire size.  Tires are available.  Converting to 21" opens up a whole can of worms.  When Buick went to 21" rims on the Standard models, they changed the hubs and the rear axles and the brakes.  It is not a direct replacement as the 21" wheel hub will not fit on the older axles.   Plus your wheel will be slightly smaller diameter so you will lose a few mph of top speed.  Hugh

Hugh is correct. What they did to my car was change the hubs on the 21" wheels to fit the 1925 axle.

Reusing most of the peenied over nuts holding the brake drum and hub assembly to the wheel. Well, the rear wheels started loosening up and I had to redo them as I had noted in a post about my process.

DSC00566.JPG.62f97a05fbca282a701eeafe59b39f83.JPG 

Adding shims and soaking in Boiled lindseed oil.

DSC00568.JPG.60949aa0caad4885c4d40a82f87b121e.JPG Also on the spoke ends at the steel felloe after filing the end grain to get the spokes to drink up the Boiled lindseed oil.

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coker does not list the 22" tire on it's NZ website, but this company does.

http://classic-tyres.co.nz/wp/

I would contact Coker in NZ and see if they could put what was needed in with one of their shipments.  They may not stock them in NZ, but I would think they could do a special order and ship them along with another standard shipment.