1955 Dodge engine/tranny

I have what I was told is a 1955 motor and transmission. The valve cover says Red Ram on it. I would like to sell it but am not sure on a price. I know nothing about it. The guy I got it from has passed on. Not sure if it turns over but it seems to be complete.

I don’t want to junk it, I am sure someone needs it. 

thanks for any help,

Robbie

A0D446E8-12E8-4766-804E-1AF66A3DD0FE.jpeg

A129D6C8-E5BB-4585-A682-4C14D7DE6508.jpeg

C4953588-ABF6-4844-8DDE-6F8BCB239B11.jpeg

65A2079E-6625-4A3E-8B0E-261FE4C1452B.jpeg

E45744FB-FAFB-45A4-B315-73486A3301A5.jpeg

FFE7A1E5-09BC-4A01-87E9-383F849A2594.jpeg

4E9C3184-25C1-43D7-AEA5-921E70F74390.jpeg

CC47C606-725E-4226-85B8-8D334C5D2351.jpeg

2D7E6E61-3538-4298-B190-5A7BACFAA459.jpeg

I can't help with value, but from what I see here probably not 1955. Red Ram doesn't help much except that it nails down that it is Dodge (not Chrysler/Plymouth/Desoto). It has a 12 volt generator on it, so if that really goes with the engine it is 1956 or newer. The transmission appears to be a Powerflite, but I don't think that helps. This entire engine family was discontinued for 1959.

That leaves us with 1956-1958 Dodge.

Now about what it is.... It is a polyspherical headed engine based on an early Dodge Hemi block. There were 3 sizes of early Hemi. I mean physical size, not displacement. From small to large they were Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler. Polyspherical heads were made for the Dodge and Chrysler Hemi blocks, never Desoto as far as I know. An engine with Polyspherical heads on the big Chrysler Hemi block would have been called "Spitfire" (not Red Ram).

The new Plymouth V8 was not ready until 1956, so 1955 Plymouth V8s and some 1956 Plymouths have an engine from this family. This isn't one though, or it wouldn't say "Red Ram" on it.

I hope you find a good home for it . Good luck with the sale.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks for the information!
Do these engines have a date code stamped on them? I have looked for it on the block but not sure of exact location. I have to do something with it soon but not sure how and where to market it so it can be seen.

thanks again,

Robbie

Being that this is not a Hemi I might be giving wrong info.

However, since it is a Dodge engine, maybe.

Look on the top of the engine block in the front near or under that coolant crossover for a stamped number.

If there is one there post it and I will look thru my Mopar books for exact identity.

If no number there look for a stamped number somewhere on the block and we might still get lucky.

I can also decode some casting numbers, but the stamped ones tell what vehicle it came in and what the displacement is.

At least that is how it works on the Hemis.

Robbie, you're on the right track to try to figure out the year of your DODGE engine, as an aide to selling it. I'd add that the first question you'll get from a potential buyer is, "Does it turn over?". That's going to make all the difference, when it comes to buyer interest AND the price. I know it's extra work for you, but you should pull all of the spark plugs, shoot a little fogging oil into all eight cylinders, and then see if you can turn it over even a little bit. If it's stuck,

I'm not suggesting you spend the time to get it free (if stuck). Rather, you'll at least be able to answer the "Does it turn over" question. I guarantee you, if you reply "I don't know" or "I haven't had the time to check", guys will automatically assume the engine is stuck. Then, they'll either walk away, or offer you junk price for the engine. Best of luck to you on this. John

I haven’t been able to find any numbers on the block but the water pump crossover has a number embossed on it is 1329277-4 and J135 which looks like it was cast onto the part with screw heads and all.

the intake manifold has a number embossed on it which is 409375-6

That’s all I have found so far.

3 hours ago, packard 116 said:

embossed on it which is 409375-6

My book shows an intake casting number of 1409376. not the same as you post but application is 2bbl, 1952-1955.

• Like 1

To begin, the stamped number that will make things easier is located "top center of block behind pump". Quoted from my code book.

So, you might take a rag or maybe a shot of brake cleaner or the likes and get that number. It is a stamped number sometimes stamped lightly.

1329277 is a pump housing 1953-1954 car, or 1953-1955 truck and the truck mentions it to be a 241.

This info comes from a Hemi ID book. Many of these early engines used the same blocks and intakes for the Polys and Hemis.

Further investigation from a second source shows that the Poly motor which is what you have was a 259 cid in Dodges in 55 and 56.

If that is indeed a 12 volt generator that is original to the engine, then you have a 1956 259 Dodge Poly engine.

In this second book the casting number of 1409375 which is more similar to the number you posted as being  1953-1955.

This book also suggests that the water pump housing 1329277 fits 241 Dodge.

So, it might be more likely that what you have is a 1953-54 241. Even though your generator shows to be 12 volts. However I would not put alot into what the generator is because who knows how it got there with this engine in the last 70 years.

A casting number from the block would be a HUGE help in identifying. But the stamped number at the beginning of this post would be better.

You might have to stand on your head to see the block casting numbers.

My best guess at this point is a 241 cid Dodge car engine from 1953 or 1954 that someone has changed over to 12 volts at some time in the past.

Hope all this helps, without the stamped application number it is a best guess.

• Like 2

Value is about supply and demand.

Maybe a hundred, maybe a thousand. If someone needs it for a proper restoration, they may pay up for it.

But it's not a terribly desirable piece, just like the Coronets of the era. If it's in your way take the hundred and run.

If it were a Hemi of the same vintage, I can tell you that there is one of those advertised often around here for a thou and has not sold.

But yours is not a Hemi thus less desirable.

If the motor turns over and might run, I would keep my eye out for a clapped out Mopar of some sort and build a hot rod.

28 Dodge project 024.jpg