HVAC control repair

MrFreeze

Okay, last new topic for today.

I need to get the AC and heat working properly.  I found the hot water valve under the hood was frozen, and was able to get it moving again.  Seems to work okay now, but the slider to control it has no effect (cable doesn't move).  I removed the controls and found that the cable is seized into the sheath, and has bent 90 degrees at the end (see pic).  Anyone know where I can get a new cable?

My other issue (so far) appears to be a broken vacuum line.  I will probably replace them all when I have everything apart.  Any reason I can't use generic vacuum tubing from the parts store?  Anyone know the size offhand?  Any advice on other repairs/maintenance while I am in there?

As always, thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Best regards,

MrFreeze

Control cable issue.jpg

Vacuum line issue.jpg

3 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

Any reason I can't use generic vacuum tubing from the parts store? 

No, there's nothing wrong with that as long as you don't mind that the appearance of the new hoses will differ from the original GM ones.  If, on the other hand, you are looking for authentic appearance you can always source new hoses from one of the Corvette restoration suppliers (e.g., https://www.zip-corvette.com/68-82-c3/heater-air-condition/corvette-vacuum-hose-kits.html).

It's hard to tell from your photo, but if you carefully clean the outside of the hoses with detergent and water you may see some colored stripes on some hoses.  I know I've seen red, yellow and white stripes on various cars of the '60s and '70s.  There were also original hoses with longitudinal ribs (3 or 4, I forget).  You'll have to see what you have and go from there.  I would think buying Corvette hose from the same year (give-or-take) would get you close.  You could always call the supplier to ask if they can provide lengths of specific types for you that differ from the standard kits they sell.  You could also spend the money under the hood, but go with generic parts store hose under the dash or other hidden areas.

Maybe someone who has actually done their 1st gen will chime-in with recommendations...

On 4/30/2023 at 2:40 PM, MrFreeze said:

Anyone know where I can get a new cable?

You didn't mention what year.

Oldair.com - this one for 1963, a bargain at $104/set. I struggled with replacing the core with music wire before discovering this:

https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/26-1463-ez-slider-cable-set?gfid=p118170-c145140

On 4/30/2023 at 6:08 PM, MrFreeze said:

Mine are all black currently. 

Again, what year? 1963 Shop Manual identifies colour striped vacuum hoses

Again, Oldair.com:

https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/23-0905-vacuum-hose

WRT color-coded vacuum hoses, I was perusing my Ames (Pontiac) catalog the other day and saw that they sell hoses with various colored stripes by the foot.

https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/Search_Web?order_number_e=NTYyMjkwMA%3D%3D &method_1=&method_2=Y&on=Y&search_method=2&cat_rowid=3&search_year=1964&search_keyword=vacuum+hose&sort=0

image.png.d17eb2de17bbbf246ff46216e197178e.png

• Thanks 2

On 4/30/2023 at 8:08 PM, MrFreeze said:

EmTee, were the original hoses color-coded?  Mine are all black currently.  If I order from the Corvette supplier, what year should I get?

MrFreeze

I put all new color coded vacuum hoses on my 63 RIV AC.

Your are accustomed to working with refrigeration cycle. I know you know the components and what they do.

I used the 63 service manual to color code a photo copy of where the vacuums went. I colored the hoses from the black and white manual.

Because there were some work arounds on the 63 with the vacuum water control add, a substitute single vacuum actuator with two ports, and STV by pass I had to pay attention to routing of the hoses. Hard? No but, Tedious for me. I got my matching color coded hoses from Old Air in Houston Tx.

Tom Mooney told me another supplier has better color correct vacuum hoses.

I cannot remember the supplier with the better color hoses.

Any way I eliminated the STV and put in the bypass. The AC MUFFLER is history. I stayed with R12. Gets 38 degrees F on a mid 80’s day with high humidity. I use ALMA AC compressor NEW. The compressor has held up under my inept system repair attempts and still works fine. That is amazing the compressor still works. Usually stuff I fix gets worse before it gets better.

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, bewemo said:

To resolve the control cable issue, it would be best to consult with a local automotive parts store or contact the manufacturer or dealership for your specific vehicle make and model. They should be able to provide you with the correct replacement cable or guide you to a reliable source. For the broken vacuum line, using generic vacuum tubing from a parts store should be fine as long as it matches the appropriate size and specifications. It's a common practice to replace vacuum lines with generic tubing. However, to ensure the best fit and compatibility, it's advisable to bring a sample of the broken line to the parts store for accurate sizing. While you have everything apart, it's a good opportunity to inspect other components related to the AC and heating system. Check for any signs of wear or damage and consider replacing any worn-out parts. Additionally, inspecting and cleaning the HVAC filters, checking the coolant levels, and inspecting the blower motor and fan assembly can help ensure optimal performance of your AC and heating system. If you're unsure about any specific repairs or maintenance tasks, it's always recommended to consult with a qualified automotive technician or refer to the vehicle's service manual for detailed instructions and guidance.

You sure sound like a robot...