1930 Ford Model A "Street Rod" - Help Determining Fluids To Use

AllOutOfSpoons

My father left me his 1930 Ford Model A Street Rod with very little information before passing away. As a younger female, I am not afraid to admit that I am not very mechanically inclined, and I am trying to learn as I go with things involving the car, and I want to do my best to keep his interests alive.

I wondered if anyone could help me determine what fluids [transmission, brake, coolant, gear oil, etc.] I should use to get it and keep it back in tip-top shape. (Note: As of now the only fluid I know that he used with certainty is the motor oil)

As far as things go, all I know is that:

• The engine is a '70 Camaro 350 ci bored .30 over.
  • The transmission is a '70 Camaro turbo 350.
  • Carbs are [2] Holley 650s 
  • Front Mustang II Disc Brakes
  • Camaro Master Cylinder (Dual)
  • Cobra Walker Radiator
  • Twelve bolt GM possi rear end (350 gear ratio)
  • He used 10W40 Motor oil and a Napagold Oil Filter in 2018. But I am unsure if these are the right things to use.

Thank you for any help in advance. 

Edited by AllOutOfSpoons
added more information (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Transmission fluid, ATF, would be Dexron III. Aka Dexron/Mercon.

Brake fluid could be either DOT 3 or DOT 5 synthetic. If you ever need to add brake fluid, you need to 1. find the leak, and 2. research how to tell the difference with a sample from the master cylinder. Or as JFranklin says, find a shop that will work on a street rod, the brakes are common parts.

Needing rear axle fluid (gear oil) is rare, and used to be taken care of by the local filling/service station. Ha! Any shop should be able to check and add gear oil if necessary. Or, you can check it yourself and add 90W, 80W-90 and some GM Limited Slip Additive. Ratio of mix is on bottle. 

Radiator, look at color and buy same color. Sounds funny, but green is the standard old ethylene glycol formula. Orange is GM DexCool. And there are other colors too! If green, any green at the local auto parts store (or Walmart) will be compatible. Do not mix colors is a good rule. 

Not mentioned, if possible run non-ethanol fuel in this car. 10% Ethanol fuel is OK in cars that are used regularly/get fuel every month or so, but, it does cause problems in cars that sit. Sometimes very expensive problems, DAHIK. I know there are areas where non-ethanol is hard to find, like where I live!😫, so drive it more often.😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1