1970 Mercury Turn Signal Light Issue

MarquisDropTop

I would start by looking for clobbered sockets in the trunk (can you tell I own a 70 Mercury? LOL).

Then check grounds for the signal bulbs, especially on the side that is screwing up, front and back. Also look at the signal bulbs on the bad side, front and back for a filament sagging and touching the other filament. If all that fails, look at the headlight ground wire on the bad side. I would expect it to not run very far from the sockets before it pops back out of the harness and screws to the body.

Welcome to the forum!

• Thanks 1

Classic ground failure on the rear side that is dim. That lamp is getting a “ground” through the other lamps since it is a dual filament lamp. This “ground” only works when the driving/parking light filament is not fed power from the headlamp switch. 

• Like 1

It could be either front or rear.

With head/parking lamps ON, look at each lamp individually. Park lights and tail lights.

Then operate the turn signal. If the lamp is operating correctly, it should be brighter than with only the running lights on. Whichever bulb is not brighter is where the problem is. Either a burned out filament or a grounding problem.