Buick clock

Paul White

Paul -

Below are pictures of the clock from the dash of my original garage find 1921 Buick Model 46 Coupe.  It is a rim wind clock also, made by the Keyless Auto Clock Company.  Yours has the "Buick" script on it but mine does not.  I think your clock was made by the same company as mine as the 7, 6 and 5 and other script printing on the clock appears the same on yours and mine.  Maybe yours is from the later 1920's?  I do not know what other years looked like.  My guess is that yours is from somewhere in the late Teens to Twenties.  If you take it apart there should be printing on the edge of the face that cannot be seen that may show some patent dates and maybe a model number.  My 1921 clock has 5 patent dates from the early 1900's and appears to be Model #181.

Remove the clock from the black housing and then unscrew the rim wind ring from the front to see the edge printing on the face.  Since you have gone that far you might as well clean the dust and dirt out of it while it is open.  At the very least you could get the inside of the glass clean.  You won't break any thing just breaking it down as I have to clean it up.  It comes apart and goes back together easily.

And yes... after 102 years my clock still works.  I have not been able to find any information about the Keyless Auto Clock Company - maybe you will have better luck.  

Happy Motoring - Pete

IMGP0024.JPG

IMGP0028.JPG

IMGP0034.JPG

IMGP0035.JPG

IMGP0036.JPG

IMGP0039.JPG

IMGP0041.JPG

IMGP0042.JPG

Edited by IFDPete
wording (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Thanks Emtee and Pete. Having some trouble removing the rim. Do the four screws in the back of the clock need to be removed as you can see in the photo. In saying that I have been able to see the edge of the clock face and can see the name 'Phinney-Walker Co. Inc. Made in USA. No. 72. There are a number of patent numbers I can't quite see. Cheers Paul

1680936937900-1171722632.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Paul -

Leave those 4 screws alone.  They hold the mechanism and gears all together.  The rim is threaded and what holds the mechanism in the silver can housing.   See the threads on the silver housing in my third picture above.  Try a drop or two of penetration oil around the rim with the clock face down and soak for a few days.  Hair dryer or soldering iron to carefully apply heat to the ring.  Torch may be too much.  You don't want to damage the clock face or glass.  Let it soak as long as needed until it turns.  Patience is your friend here.

Interesting that your clock has same printing but different manufacturer.  Maybe Phinney and Walker bought the Keyless Auto Clock Company or vice versa.  I will have to look into it.

I look forward to seeing the face of your clock once you get it opened.  The back side of yours is just like mine.

Good luck 🍀 Pete

Edited by IFDPete (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have a Phinney Walker keyless rim wind which looks very similar to the "Buick script" and "Keyless" clocks shown. As IFDPete stated, "Patience is your friend here." On my example, the brass inner case has a crack in it where the bezel threads to it and was difficult to remove.

The patent dates on my Phinney Walker date from 1907 to 1912 on the dial face and from 1908 to 1915 on the back of the case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Paul - sorry to hear it won't budge.  If you can carefully heat up the ring around the threads it may expand the ring enough to get it to move.  Just try not to torch on the glass side and crack or shatter the glass. Take your time slowly heating with glass face down on table.  Evenly and slowly heat it and with gloved hand see if it will unscrew while hot.  Alternatively, you could heat it for expansion, reapply oil and let it soak so that it might penetrate further.  

Edited by IFDPete
Wording (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Great news on getting the ring and glass off.  Now you can get it cleaned up and oiled.  Did the clock work before you opened it up?  Does it keep good time?  You can adjust the clock speed using the little lever between 1 and 2.

Edited by IFDPete
Wording (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...