1955 Buick Special Coupe Seat Back Rope

MStuartk

Me again!  I am still trying to keep this old Buick original by either repairing or replacing badly worn out items.  I am hoping that someone could give me a lead on how to purchase the rope on the rear of the front seats.  Also, if anyone has any information on how the rope is secured inside the housings!  I searched online and all I could locate was the actual chrome housings, which I do not need.  I think the chrome will clean up to an acceptable outcome. I included one photo of the seat back, and another photo of the 55 that was taken with our Cherry Blossom blooms in my driveway on Saturday. 

I also want to thank all of the people that has been assisting me with working on the old Buick.  I wish to be able to return the assistance but I don't have enough experience with the old car yet to be able to offer assistance.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

It appears the covering is coming off due to the seam failing, probably due to the cotton thread deteriorating over the years.

You could try removing it by taking off the 2 chrome escutcheons then see what holds it underneath. Then you should be able to sew the seam up by hand. You might also gently wash it by hand. Of course this depends on how strong the material is, if its crumbling it is too late to do anything with it.

If new rope is not available you may need to get a strip of suitable material or vinyl and sew a new cover.

• Like 2

This is the sort of thing suppliers of upholstery material to the antique car world used to sell by the yard. Unfortunately I don't know any who are still in business, a web search might turn up something, or maybe someone who has bought some recently will chime in.

• Like 1

The rope is actually a chain inside a rubber hose. The chain ends are screwed into the seat frame. The cover is sewn onto the hose with a base ball stitch.

They are fairly easy to recover with the cover of your choice.......bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Does anyone know the purpose of those ropes? I learned it recently and it was interesting. My understanding is that they are a holdover from the days when cars didn't have heaters. They were intended to hold a lap blanket. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, drhach said:

Does anyone know the purpose of those ropes? I learned it recently and it was interesting. My understanding is that they are a holdover from the days when cars didn't have heaters. They were intended to hold a lap blanket. 

In my 2 Special the can be used to pull the seat back back once in the rear seat.  I have seen blankets hung on them as you stated.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MStuartk said:

Now I know how to proceed. 

Cut a strip of your material. Hem the edges in to give a nice edge. I lightly glue the hem. Make the strip just a tad too narrow and pull it tight on the hose with a base ball stitch. Keep the seam straight and in position to be down/back when installed. A bit tedious but not difficult............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

11 hours ago, drhach said:

That is correct. The lap robe or lap blanket was a thick wool blanket about 3 feet by 4 feet. In the days before car heaters, you could buy a heater that was a tin box covered in carpet. Inside the box, went a slab of soapstone or fire brick that you heated in the oven of the old wood burning cook stove. This acted as a foot rest, and with the lap robe arranged like a tent covering your legs down to the floor your lower extremities could keep warm for a long time. In those days few people took long car trips in winter and  a half hour or hour was about the limit.

When not in use the lap robe could be draped over the robe rail or rope on the back of the seat.

The 55 Buick must be one of the last cars to have this feature, by that time efficient heaters were pretty much standard equipment at least in northern areas.