Radial tire size equivalent to 760-15

Guest imported_JPIndusi

Guest imported_JPIndusi

Somewhere I saw a discussion on using radial tires with white walls to replace the 1950's vintage tires. I have a 53 Special which is supposed to have 760-15 and previous owner put P235-75R15 on, but they look too big. Anybody know of a chart to find equivalent to 760-15?

Joe

I have Coker's wide white radials, 225/75x15, on my '52 Pontiac Catalina that calls for 7.60x15. They look and work great. I get an occasional mild rub on the frame rail in a tight parking lot turn, but it's not a problem, in my opinion.

You might also want to look at www.tirerack.com. They have a lot of good size charts.

Guest 31tudor

On tire sizes that don't have the "middle" number, it's safe to assume an 80's series in place of the missing number. In other words, a 215R15 should be considered a 215/80/15. (I haven't seen an 80's series in a lot of years, so substitute a 75 if you can.)

I recently learned this from several reliable sources when looking for a pair of 145R15's for my street rod. Speaking of which, does anyone have a pair they'd like to sell?

The p225-75r15 is equivalent to the 7.60- 15 in load carrying capacity only. The diameter/circumference is smaller which will make your speedometer inaccurate. They are wider and will be more prone to rub body components and ride rougher (wider tires hit more bumps). The p235-75r15 is closer in the diameter/circumference but is still wider and heavier. I went through all this before the 7.60-15 was available as a reproduction, now with Coker's 7.60-15 tires my cars look, ride and handle well.

Willie

Guest imported_JPIndusi

Old Tank, you mention reproduction 760-15 tires from Coker. Are these radials or bias ply with tubes? What is the width of the whitewall?

Thanks - Joe