Choosing Felt for a crank hole seal

29 Chandler

I am trying to choose the correct grade of felt to replace the felt washer that is sandwiched in my timing chain cover. From what I see on McMaster Carr's website they offer sheets from grade F1 (hardest) to F7 (softest). The purpose of this particular seal is to ride around the crankshaft and keep the oil behind the timing chain cover. 

I am not familiar with the different grades of Felt. Anyone have any experience here and can provide some guidence? Right now I am leaning towards the F7 grade as it will need to absorb and retain oil to do its job. My 1914 Chandler will not be running at any high RPMs so I figure the softer grade will still do its job.

Grade 7 is too soft and fluffy. You should use grade 1 or at least 2. Attached is the drawing for Franklin automobile seals. As you can see the felt they used for your application is No. 1. If you by a piece of no. 1 felt from McMaster Carr you will see, you did the right thing. Hope this helps. Be sure to oil it good so you won't burn it up as soon as you start up the engine.

Felt seals.jpg

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hook said:

Grade 7 is too soft and fluffy. You should use grade 1 or at least 2. Attached is the drawing for Franklin automobile seals. As you can see the felt they used for your application is No. 1. If you by a piece of no. 1 felt from McMaster Carr you will see, you did the right thing. Hope this helps. Be sure to oil it good so you won't burn it up as soon as you start up the engine.

Felt seals.jpg

Thank you Hook just the information I needed.

Yes, white #1 felt is the best choice, #2 also good, just not white.  Back in the bad old days, there used to be SAE-designated standard felt washer sizes which made it easier to design parts and get replacement seals.  The old Victor and National Oil seal catalogs showed them, may still appear in some Timken catalogs.  Here are a few from a 1969 Victor catalog:

feltwashernumbers-Victor.jpg.2a3a06f6822e5eb4464e2328f9e61b55.jpgIf you Google the Victor numbers, you may find current cross reference numbers and also modern replacements that fit where the felts went.

I made some rear axle seals from #1 felt sheet.  I used short pieces of steel exhaust tubing adapters, sharpened the edge, and used a small press to cut them.  Note there was a steel block under the plywood when I cut them and a steel/iron block on top of the tube to press evenly.   

felt_seals_press.jpg.81329e605ac136796d8c16c3ed5c61d4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Yes, white #1 felt is the best choice, #2 also good, just not white.  Back in the bad old days, there used to be SAE-designated standard felt washer sizes which made it easier to design parts and get replacement seals.  The old Victor and National Oil seal catalogs showed them, may still appear in some Timken catalogs.  Here are a few from a 1969 Victor catalog:

feltwashernumbers-Victor.jpg.2a3a06f6822e5eb4464e2328f9e61b55.jpgIf you Google the Victor numbers, you may find current cross reference numbers and also modern replacements that fit where the felts went.

I made some rear axle seals from #1 felt sheet.  I used short pieces of steel exhaust tubing adapters, sharpened the edge, and used a small press to cut them.  Note there was a steel block under the plywood when I cut them and a steel/iron block on top of the tube to press evenly.   

felt_seals_press.jpg.81329e605ac136796d8c16c3ed5c61d4.jpg

Thank you Gary!! Using your chart I was able to cross reference to a modern part number and find one in stock.