Dura-Block Sanding blocks

Don Jr.

Do not know if this post should be in technical or general discussion. I would like to know if these blocks for sanding should be bent to fit the profile of vintage fenders such as curves. They come dead flat and flex a bit. They are marked  with 20 PCF which is 20 lbs. per cubic feet. Do not see any other models with different markings.Do not want to wreck them if they should stay dead flat for other panels. I am currently using a pool noodle with great success at the moment. I called the company to clarify this but as of a week now no answer. I purchased a Karebec block stating it was flexible but it is just as stiff as the Dura block. Will say they are great on flat surfaces. Thanks for any input.

My 11" and 16" Dura-Blocks will bend a maximum of 1/4 inch. That's it. They are wonderful for sanding perfectly flat panels. 

For curved fenders I have other sanding blocks, thinner and more flexible.  A pool noodle will work.

Go to one of the larger antique car swap meets.  You'll find auto body supply vendors with a variety of sanding blocks that you can try out to see which ones are flexible enough for you. You can't do that on Amazon.

Thank you. Appreciate the reply. I purchased a starter set of Dura blocks and they work very well. And the different shape variety looks like they will be handy for different applications. Looked on line for clarification on this but came up short.

I worked in collision repair for 40 plus years, never remember buying a sanding block. Be creative with different things. Paint sticks (long,short,multiples taped together), pool noodles is great, can insert stick through it to make stiff. Cut many from packing materials. Other bodymen wondered what I was doing till they saw me using it. Also used base of air file with handle I made.

Good luck and have fun.

• Like 1

Several sizes of heater hose also for well well lips.;)

I have a full set of durablocks and love them. The trick is using the right one for the right spot. Keeping the panel flat in the right places and curved in the right place is the tricky part. I think if you are using a pool noodle and it works then keep on keepin' on! I too have used blocks of wood, sticks etc. Some times it just finding the right backer for the spot youre working on. Not necessarily one tool that fits all. You may find the long dura block will work great on a door surface or hood, roof, trunk etc. I would not try to make a curve out of it.

Thank you for all the tips and help on this.  Appreciate you input. Yes the pool noodle is working great on the rear fenders of an early Dodge Bros. The touring was used as a farm truck when they cut off the rear half on the farm she came from. But before they cut her up I think they just backed the old girl up in the barn and stopped when she hit the wall. ( parking by ear! ) Really messed up the rears and crumpled them up. Learning dolly and hammer bumping techniques on them as I could not hurt them any worse than they are.  Being told practice practice practice.