1961 Cadillac Sedan deVille $14,000 21,000 miles

Marketplace - 1961 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan | Facebook

Seller's Description

Survivor '61 Sedan DeVille with 20K original miles. Car sat for ~40 years, prior to my ownership 9 years ago. The car has been infrequently used and has been treated as a rolling restoration. Under my ownership the car has had the following: - fuel tank dropped, cleaned, and sealed - Radiator re-cored (original Harrison end tanks used) - Water pump replaced - Upgraded to '62 master cylinder / brake booster for dual circuit brakes The good: - Runs, drives, turns, stops - CLEAN complete car, no rust - 95%+ original parts - Low miles - Power windows, power seat, power antenna (all functional) - Original A/C car (inoperable) The bad: - various small leaks - paint is patina'd (it's original) Asking $14K,

Product photo of 1961 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Product photo of 1961 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

Didn't we just have an over-priced Cadillac from the 60's on here under discussion a couple of days ago?  

This one is interesting.  For starters, the seller has had it 9 years, was equipped from the factory with air conditioning, but as usual they do not want to drop the coin to get it repaired.  Or can't find someone to do it? 

If someone or a group of mechanics went into business solely restoring air conditioning systems on automobiles from 1963 to 1980 (or pick a year) and advertised in Hemmings and AACA, I would think they would always be busy.  95% of old cars with AC are inoperative. 

2nd - if a person can get a true 20,000 mile 1961 Mid Century Modern automobile for say $10,000 in this condition I would say it is well bought!   Not sure what the paint code is, but it looks lovely I am sure with fresh paint.   I get it, paint it in a nice 2 stage paint and maybe rechrome the bumpers and this one is way way over "book" value. 

Personally, I would set money aside for awhile and enjoy it as is, taking it to shows and club events as a "survivor HPOF" type ride, but I also think with fresh glossy paint and chrome, this car would be a show stopper.  That 4 door hardtop style, with all windows down - is hard to beat.  Say you could get paint and chrome done for $20,000.   Heck, do it over the next 5-6 years.  

You'd be in it at that point for $30,000, and enjoyed it for 5 + years.  

As for the AC, I think I want it fixed, but may employ my car buddy friends to help.  I believe, thankfully, that 1961 is still pre-automatic AC touch it and forget it AC.  I say thankfully, because those automatic AC systems are a PITA.  So this is probably about replacing components, charging and seeing what happens.  Again, a person could do that over a period of 2-3 years.  

It still bothers me that an owner of 9 years has not already done that. 

• Like 1

A competent air conditioning technician can usually make system run for not a lot of money.

personally, I would install a modern 134 compressor. For less than $1000 you could have it working like a brand new modern system. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

A competent air conditioning technician can usually make system run for not a lot of money.

personally, I would install a modern 134 compressor. For less than $1000 you could have it working like a brand new modern system. 

Many A/C systems of this era had issues with leaks in the evaporator, requiring disassembly of the dash.

They also suffered bad leaky vacuum hoses which directed the air to vents or ducted to the floor or defrosters, or just blocked all air flow, and then again, some of the GM Systems also employed the Hot Gas Bypass system and had other issues - I've been there.

134A compressor is a good idea, but 134A molecules are smaller than R-12, so all new hoses, as well as a larger condenser are also a good idea.

Sometimes not as simple as we would hope!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Many A/C systems of this era had issues with leaks in the evaporator, requiring disassembly of the dash.

They also suffered bad leaky vacuum hoses...134A compressor is a good idea, but 134A molecules are smaller than R-12, so all new hoses, as well as a larger condenser are also a good idea.

Sometimes not as simple as we would hope!

Yes, I'm assuming that my '65 Thunderbird's A/C is too involved to be financially feasible (for me) to have fixed, but you never know, so I guess I'll have someone check it out at some point. I definitely won't have the dash torn out to get it repaired, though. I was able to replace/repair all of the old vacuum HVAC lines and control unit without removing the dash. As it happens, all of my HVAC and vent actuators are holding vacuum, so I was extremely lucky on all counts.  But getting the A/C itself to work? An online friend who restores early four seater T-Birds told me that most of his customers ask about having their A/C reactivated/converted but the several thousand dollar price tag (which would include dash removal and addressing vacuum control system) keeps them away from the job.  In fact, his own '66 - a pretty nice car - has non-functioning A/C.