Newbie from Florida

Hello All,

I am a brand new owner of a 1989 TC with the 8V 2.2L, 52,000 miles.  I just bought it on FB Marketplace, I live in Daytona, and car is in Palmetto, FL near Sarasota.  Anyway, I have not shipped the car over yet or picked it up, as waiting for cashiers check to clear.  The PO bought it at Mecum Kissimmee in 2022, I actually drive for Mecum, LOL.  I have always loved these cars but know very little about them, but been reading up on them online.  I have been a mechanic for over 50 years including holding a FAA A+P certificate for over 50 years.  Anyway, I am concerned about the braking system (Teves), and read that I probably need to replace the accumulator as a preventive measure. I also read that the Buick Reatta's used the same system.  I plan on changing all fluids, and checking timing belt when I get it.  By googling the VIN, I found it was sold a a Hemming's auction a few years ago, with that write up I learned a little more about the car, like tire age, water pump changed and possible CV boots torn, so will have to give it a once over when it arrives. I may drive over and drive back but a little skeptical since its been a collector car for a while, LOL.  Anyway other than the brake flush/accumulator, what should I be concerned with?  My VIN is 202083.  You can also look it up on My Mecum, Kissimmee 2022.  Seems to be a nice car.  I do plan on joining the club.  Thanks, Kim

1989 Chrysler Maserati TC Convertible | J165 | Kissimmee 2022 (mecum.com)

Edited by Kimrpaige (see edit history)

Welcome Kim. I admire your background.  I drive one of these, well two.  And thats about my car knowledge.  Changing the accumulator is more than a probably.  And yours is original with the label on the top.  I bought my last two from TC Parts in Arizona.  Another must is to replace the rubber fuel lines in the engine.  Turbo and gas not a good combination.  On the leather I like to treat with leatherique. leatherique.com  Again welcome and keep us updated.  This site is a great place for the right information from people that really know what they are talking about.  I get to Tampa about once a  year so hope to see you out there.  I would recommend you get the blue cover service manual off ebay or maybe someone here has an extra. The red cover is for 90,91 with v6 or 16v.

Bill

Edited by wild bill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Wild Bill, I found an accumulator on Amazon for $250 for a Land Rover, but I think it is the same as ours because in the reviews, a Reatta owner said it was a perfect fit and the Reatta uses the Teves II system also like the TC.  price is $250.  Not sure what they cost at TC Parts.  I understand how accumulators work  as aircraft have them also as a back-up, but aircraft ones you can fill the air side up with nitrogen, LOL, looks like the ones on the car is non-serviceable.  Thanks for the other info also.  Kim

Edited by Kimrpaige (see edit history)

Welcome to the TC world. When you join the TC owners Club, you’ll find my phone number in the newsletter as I contribute to its content. I’d like to chat with you as we seem to have been doing the same type of work for the last 50+ years.

Hemi…

Will do Hemi Dude, would love to chat😂. BTW I have owned in the past,  a few 2.2L Mopars, 82Horizon, (I bought with engine all apart in the backseat), 83 Dodge Shelby Charger(non-turbo), 85 Dodge Shelby Charger (turbo1), and a 89 Plymouth Voyager, all great engines😎. Really excited about getting the TC, always liked them but was lots of $$$ in the day🤣😂

My membership papers are in the mail.  My service manual came today from E-Bay.  I picked the car up this morning, towed it from Sarasota to Daytona, drove it about 5 miles, drives and runs excellent, has a few minor items to deal with, nothing major.  It is going to be a fun car.  1989 8 valve, yellow, 52,000 original miles, car is bone stock.

• 1 year later...

Hi Kim.  Welcome to the TC club!  If you can, I recommend that you locate all of the newsletters and keep for future reference.  They are chock full of relevant TC information.  Have you had a chance to install the brake accumulator?  If so, how is it working out?  Any issues with the new one?  I suspect that the one you have purchased is the one for the 95-2002 Range Rover part number STC2784.  I'll be replacing mine soon, and want to be sure that I install one that will work properly.  Wabco makes one as does URO which sells for about $115.00. 

Any thoughts Hemi?  Care to chime in here?????

2 hours ago, david said:

Any thoughts Hemi?  Care to chime in here?????

I have not dealt with Accumulators for about 20 years though I did replace a couple at the Chesterfield meet in September but the owners of the cars provided them. I’m extremely pleased with my non-ABS braked on my TC.

2 hours ago, RobertLDuncan said:

How does one "locate all of the newsletters"?

Since you are a member of TCA Owners club, just contact the club president.

Hemi,

For you and others out there, I only have the issues since the club became TCA Owners Club.  The older issues belong to TC America and Karleen Tarola since she kept the name of the club prior to change over.  The only thing I received from the original club were emails and conversations between Karleen and myself as to how she conducted the clubs day by day business and the active members at the time of change over.  

Sincerely,

Bob