Buick Factory Trucks

My uncle owns some wrecked Brass Era Buick "factory trucks" as they were called. Thought I would post the info here as I'm sure some would find it interesting and maybe even have some knowledge to share.

One is a 24-54, another a 26-40, and the last a 28-47. (Not sure on the last.)

This is coincidentally tangentially related to my recent post about rare Brass Era cars 🙂 

Pictures:

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

Edited by human-potato_hybrid (see edit history)
  • Like 2

These were not factory trucks;  they started out as passenger cars.  Many cars had the bodies cut off and turned into trucks during the war years to obtain gas when it was rationed. Brass era Buicks would have been over 10 years earlier than these.  Model 1924-54 was a roadster with 128" wheelbase, and would have looked like the one pictured below.   The remains of the center car in your photo looks consistent with a 1924 open model.

1928-47 was a 4 door sedan on the 120" wheelbase like the one pictured below, and the remains on the left in your photo could have been a Model 47.

Model 40 was the designation for a 2 door sedan on the 120" wheelbase but according to the Buick book this model was produced in 1927 but was not offered for 1928

1925-54.jpg

28-47.jpg

Edited by Oregon Desert model 45
edit (see edit history)
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

These were not factory trucks

Thanks for the info. They aren't called that because they were truck bodies, it's because they were modified by Buick for usage around the factory.

The right one is a 26-40 (not 28-40 I realized). The other two I don't remember which is which. I agree the middle one looks more like the 24.

This is the only picture I could find online of a 26-40. Apparently not a terribly popular model.

Buick26x2drSedanLL1.jpg

19 hours ago, human-potato_hybrid said:

Thanks for the info. They aren't called that because they were truck bodies, it's because they were modified by Buick for usage around the factory.

Verifiable credible source of that claim?

These are ~100 years old.   100's - 1000's of 1920's cars had the "cut to a truck" treatment.

14 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

Verifiable credible source of that claim?

No obviously it's not verifiable but there is a small amount of info out there on Buick making trucks for their own use after they discontinued general production. That was the story we heard when he got them (for free) along with buying some other normal old Buicks, the guy had them for a long time and I doubt he just made that up. Not like the value goes up any on these with that story. Couple hundred dollars will take the lot if anyone wants them, Central PA.

On 3/5/2023 at 8:12 PM, human-potato_hybrid said:

From my what I would consider extensive knowledge of Buick Trucks, these never were never "factory" built trucks for around the factory in that era to the best of my knowledge.  They were probably cut down after their value as a car had diminished long after they were sold as cars.  During the depression and before many larger cars including 6 cylinder Buicks, Packards, Cadillacs were cut down and used as trucks and tow trucks because of their heavy suspensions and larger engines.

Buick never built any six cylinder trucks in the brass & nickel era.  All Buick trucks built in that era were 4 cylinder trucks except the 1910 Model 2A and the 1908 "Delivery Car" which both of those vehicles were built on the 2 cylinder chassis, similar to the Models F&G in that time frame. 

The only Buick built trucks that were built, but not sold were the 1940 Buick Engineering rework of a 1940 car.  There were five of these vehicles made and used by Buick Engineering in Flint.  Only one survives and it is well documented.

I have three documented Buick trucks that were sold originally as a truck to the public including a 1908 Buick Delivery Car body.  If you need any other information, please ask.

Look at this thread for some examples.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I thought you had some better photos of what you had to dispose of. The March 5th QUOTE photo does not showw much of the other 2 cowls.

I had been trying to interest my friend north of Harrisburg near routes 22/322 (central PA) to comming out to get them. But from your description in your PM to me they are probably a 3 hour drive for him to (North west PA).