Vintage Ford Truck Tachometers

NEW1966

Third from the top, 6000 rpm, looks like a 1965 Mercury.
 The others look like they mount through a hole in the dash, the Mercury mounted on the console so its back was sealed. would need more pictures 

The drive is also a clue. Are they electric or cable driven?

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

Older diesel trucks would be in the green between 14 and 19 hundred range. Those older diesels in large trucks were governed to run no higher than around 2,100. These would have been for something gas powered.

On 3/3/2023 at 4:57 PM, TerryB said:

The low rpms would indicate diesel use. My guess would be 1960s-70s era.

Not necessarily. The large gasoline truck engines of the late 50s and early 60s were designed for low RPM use. The GMC V12 made peak HP at 2400 RPM. The Ford GAA truck engine was rated at 500 HP at 2600 RPM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 1965 Mercury tach is the most valuable, but it IS missing the back cover and therefore its mounting point. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303743068469?hash=item46b87f6935:g:UoQAAOSwLAtfmHjs&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsC7CzSa8RYjDS5rq8bpzax5EOKBaQsDwyHN1U04jSNKnDu%2FpGjaJfeu5rvZSuxwgcHYeM9FOnwtk4%2FB2C1QyDX30GZ7rPjFF7nRaG1MsyKFJukXf504uoO6F5TRXFoaiTtt%2FziIr6NwUHwXRp1NZnWLqRY8X92etpvTXQ5psMTK7ORHc4rAej69tl0SL8LmGUSONb6GLG2znQMbd6UT%2B5XT3IuL%2BCGdR%2FRctjBRfCupa|tkp%3ABk9SR4Lx3IHWYQ

The others are definitely truck.

They are cable driven such that to use one you have to have the proper tach drive distributor and the cable. The need for the tach distributor would also limit it to the type of engine it could be used with. 

Ford used mechanical tachs on 55-57 T-Birds, 56-7 Mark II, 58 Edsel and 57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser. After this, the novelty of having a tach and the additional costs of a mechanical version didn't make any sense. 

m-mm.....you have a great wealth of knowledge.  I am very impressed.  A Buick Man myself for over 60 years and I have a fair share of Buick knowledge, however not the caliber of yours.

Guys like you are invaluable for Forums like these. You do a great service for the members and help a great deal.  What Classics do you own and or do you favor? Thank You for your service to this great love and hobby.  Greg Thomas

11-30-17 1966 Buick 1967 Ford M151A1 1b.JPG

Edited by NEW1966 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you, but I learn much more here than I am ever able to share. 

I have a long background in 50s, 60s & 70s FoMoCo, but now I am branching out into 40s and even some 20s cars, all non Ford. 

Most folks get into a particular make/model or era and then stay there. They become experts and masters in that narrow comfort zone. 

I got bored doing the same thing again and again so I have branched out.  Which is a difficult and painful thing to do. Always stumped always searching for information and parts. But I am no longer bored.