I want to buy a 425 oldsmobile

Chad V.

I don't care specifically on what model it came from. I just want a 425 oldsmobile engine. Preferably high compression, and a 4 barrel engine originally. To my knowledge all the 425 engines had forged crankshafts and larger diameter lifters than the later engines. If that is not true then I want one with a forged crank and larger lifters and different cam angle than the later 455s.

As well as the 65-67 45° cam.

All except Toronado engines had the 45° lifter angle and .921 diameter lifters. Toronado engines had the more common 39° lifter angle and .842 lifters.

Toronado and Starfire engines had the highest compression ratios. Most two barrel engines also had fairly high compression. Remember that Olds changed CR with the piston configuration.

65 4 barrel engines used a square-bore intake combined with a 4GC carburetor. 66-7 use spread-bore intakes set up for QuadraJets. Toronado engines have a specific negative rise intake designed for the Toronado's low hoodline. It's good for low-end torque but has its own issues. They'll all accept aftermarket performance intakes, though there's not much choice these days.

65 use "A" casting heads, 66 "B" and 67 "C". All came in either big-valve or small-valve configurations and B and C heads have A.I.R. bumps. As have larger rocker arm pivot studs.

Confused yet?😎

Joe P always gives impeccable advice on these and other Olds engines.

• 8 months later...