Wire wheel - 16 inch, 5 on 6

TooManyCars

17 hours ago, TooManyCars said:

Nobody has heard of a vehicle of the vintage that would wear this type of wire wheel with a 5 on 6 pattern? Must be a very, very obscure one. 

I've never heard of 5 on 6 , but I just ran across this Hemmings article on patterns for bolt-on WOOD wheels.  There are a few cars like Buick and Pierce with that pattern, and can we assume those cars with wires would be the same?

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1930-37-wooden-wheels

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F&J said:

I've never heard of 5 on 6 , but I just ran across this Hemmings article on patterns for bolt-on WOOD wheels.  There are a few cars like Buick and Pierce with that pattern, and can we assume those cars with wires would be the same?

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1930-37-wooden-wheels

Thank you, F&J. That’s an interesting lead.  The vehicles listed in the article as sharing the bolt pattern, but with wooden wheels, not metal wire wheels are 

1932 Buick 60

1933 Buick Model 60, 80, 90

1933-1937 Pierce Arrow Big Twelve

1933-1937 Eight and Small Twelve. 

In addition to the vehicles above taking wood spokes rather than wire wheels, they also took larger tires. None of the ones above list 16 in tires as an option.  The article is making me think it is possible that these could be after market wheels for those models. However, it is beyond my level of knowledge to know what a swap between wood spokes wheels and steel wire wheels would entail. I’m sure there are people around that can shed more light on this. Thanks again F&J. 

I have 1 16" wire like yours, and I have 10 or 12 Artillery wheels with 5 on 6 bolt pattern.

All came from a load of '30s Buick parts I bought a few years ago.

All the Buick guys told me they didn't come with 16" wheels, I'm also under the impression that during the war most tire companies sold 16" wheel tire combo's as larger tires were unavailable. 

Definitely Big series Buick.

2 hours ago, DE SOTO said:

I have 1 16" wire like yours, and I have 10 or 12 Artillery wheels with 5 on 6 bolt pattern.

All came from a load of '30s Buick parts I bought a few years ago.

All the Buick guys told me they didn't come with 16" wheels, I'm also under the impression that during the war most tire companies sold 16" wheel tire combo's as larger tires were unavailable. 

Definitely Big series Buick.

Thank you, sir, for the info.