35 Olds L35 Transmission Noise/Repair options...

philipj

I am contemplating getting into a 35 Olds L35, and while reviewing the driving video, I hear a lot of clattering in first gear, whether from bad u-joints or a worn main shaft or cluster gear, bearings, I don't know... It could be a number of things. It also has a little noise getting into second (synchro) but a smooth third... All and all, it tells me that the gearbox has to be overhauled.

So a couple of questions: #1 Is there anyone that specializes in pre-war Oldsmobiles like Dave Tacheny? He specializes in pre-war Buicks and has plenty of parts... #2 Is there a transmission shop anywhere in the US working on pre-war GM gearboxes? 

Unfortunately, I do not have a parts book (on my list if I get the car) to start looking for new parts... Gears, bearings shafts, seals, synchros... Anything needed to make the car shift as it should. As for the video, it is too large to post here and I have no idea how to make it work...;(

Anyone here has experience with a 35-36 Oldsmobile gearbox? I do not know which other vehicle shares the same assembly... Maybe a 34-36 LaSalle? Thank you for your help.

Edited by philipj (see edit history)

I doubt anything shares the exact transmission assembly. That basic design may have originated at Oldsmobile(?), I suspect it did, but by 1935-36 (and probably quite a bit earlier) it was a Flint-built Buick 40 series part that other divisions adapted for their use. My 1936 Pontiac transmission overhaul thread lists the obvious outside differences between Buick, Olds, and Pontiac near the end of the thread. The tables ("code" windows) scroll sideways. The Oldsmobile internals will look like the ones in my Pontiac. That thread shows exactly what you will be up against. Quite a few of the internal parts are literally the same. Buicks are easier to find parts for by far as there are so many of them and they have such an enthusiast backing for the 30s models. Pontiac is a little bit more difficult. Oldsmobile is even more difficult as there seem to be even fewer cars left. Many of the internal parts are likely to be the same as Buick (or Pontiac), but believe the part numbers. You will definitely need a parts book. In Pontiac, a "Master" parts book for the chassis is the real one, while a "Wholesale" parts book is a heavily abridged version you wouldn't want. I don't know what verbage Oldsmobile used, just make sure you get the complete chassis book. The body book might or might not be a separate book.

In addition to the normal Buick and Pontiac sources, who may be able to help once you have part numbers, there is also Northwest Transmission Parts in Ohio(?).

A crunchy second could be as simple as a misadjusted clutch. After seeing what happened to my transmission with the detent springs breaking or wearing through, I might be tempted to preemptively tear it down and replace those even if nothing else was wrong. If you don't want to do that you could drain it, check for metal chunks and if you don't find any just put new oil in and see if it works better. It might have some super slippery GL5 hypoid oil in it now. I'm using a much more synchromesh friendly oil, Redline 75W140NS Synthetic, and I like it. There are others. In conventional oil, something like GL1 tractor fluid or even motor oil would probably be a better choice than GL4 or GL5 hypoid gear oil.

@Dandy Dave was also working on one of these mid 30s Oldsmobile transmissions in fairly recent times.

• Like 1

Yes. I was fortunate enough to find some NOS parts on E-bay, and some others from members of this community. Also, new bearings by part number from a bearing supplier. The Olds is not mine. I've been pecking away at it for a friend. The springs were also shot in the one I worked on. Could also be a bearing going bad on one of the shafts. The only real way to find out is to take it out and tear it down. The Olds is a 1936.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My 32 Oldsmobile trans was noisy. Found two of the three synchro springs broken and both bronze synchro drum liners were no longer bonded to the outer drum. I drilled and pinned them and drove the pins below the surface of the bronze. The main shaft snap ring was also snapped!😁