Vacuum wiper motors

1937McBuick

I took apart the wiper motor on my 37.

Matt Hinson forwarded the pdf issue of the Torque Tube II,   Jan/Feb 2022 issue.    There's an article in the magazine on them.  Before I took it apart, when I rocked the lever the wiper tower linkages attach to,  I thought I could here a sucking sound.    Anyone test theirs before putting it back in.

So everything is cleaned up and in the process of trying to soften the valve material.   What is that thing made of?   It isn't really broken but it's kind of hard.

When I re-assemble this thing what kind of grease do you guys think I should use?   How much?  There wasn't a pile of grease in it.   It would be good to use something that doesnt "dry" out quickly.

Should this be in the technical forum?   

7 minutes ago, DonMicheletti said:

One important thing to check is the dimensions of the vacuum chamber. They tend to be larger at the center pivot than at the ends. If that is so, the motor will not work and may not be able to be repaired

Would a digital caliper be good enough?  

How much of a difference is too much?

Hope the Seal around the Flapper are still intact?..also the round Seal on one side of the Flapper?.. the you have a Chance.

Use the clean flapper for measuring the Housing  by our feeling. It must be at all positions similar the same brake loose power while wiping through the housing.

Look for small bubbles(damages) they come/grow out of the Aluminium material in direction where the Flapper runs,this will slow down/brake the Flake the Flapper massive.

What they also don't like ist when then complete Motor ist drop down and you have small dents in the relatively thin Motor Wall.

Mostly it helps if you grinding the surface of the Housing with fine 320 wet sand paper in direction where the Flapper works.

Instead of water i use WD 40 or something  else. 

The Flapper must work even soft from side to side,then it's ok.

For greasing I use batterie grease because its acid free.

Good luck.

I tested mine using a hand vacuum pump before I installed it.  That will tell you if it works at all, but not guarantee it works well.  I completely disassembled and refurbished mine.  @DonMicheletti is correct; the 'tub' casting on mine was sucked-in on the sides near the shaft pivot points.  I used a flat file to true-up the surfaces.

Here's a link to the description of what I did to revive mine: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/371015-my-1938-buick-century-model-61/page/6/

Here are the wipers in action following the work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAACIilxnj4

• Like 4

23 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

Mine was .015" and wouldnt work.

Mine was about the same as Don's.  I tried soaking my flapper/paddle in ATF to soften the perimeter seal, but ultimately wound-up replacing it with a similar looking fibrous gasket material that I bought at NAPA.

• Like 1