Neat HaDees sign. Any idea how old?

Must have made them both ways.  The one I was  bidding on was over 3 foot tall and had an easel back but boy sure looked the same or very similar.   Of course when you look in the old sign catalogs for United motors and stuff from the same era,  the array of signs they made and variations were really quite impressive.  Surprising not more of this stuff is around as the sheer quantity from back then should have led to a good survival rate.  Think of all the garages that were Mobil.  Many seemed to have about a 1/2 dozen or more Mobil signs on them of varying sizes,  and that was just one station to which there were many in bigger towns.   My little hometown of around 500-750 people seemed to have at one point 5 or 6 gas stations and 5 or 6 actual garages to get your car worked on.  It was on a fairly well traveled route but kind of in the middle of nowhere.  Our lake had 3 marinas as well. 

19 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

point 5 or 6 gas stations and 5 or 6 actual garages to get your car worked on

Interesting point.  I grew up in a rural Iowa farming town of 900 and we had 7 gas stations, 3 garages and a Ford dealership.  All had considerable advertising and signage.

• Like 1

With gas stations, many times the gas and oil signage was the property of the company whose gas you were selling.  When it was changed out for newer stuff the company reclaimed the old stuff.  Friend of mine that had a gas station told me about that years ago.  As for accessories, I’m sure the station owner could do with it whatever he wanted.  Most times it went in the trash, who would ever want this stuff anyway😀.

My father in law was service manager for a Ford dealership in an Iowa town of 10000. He recalls in the early 50’s they cleaned out the obsolete parts and trashed enough parts to build a new model T along with multiple NOS blocks and transmissions

• Like 1