More trashing the TC....

mensanguy

6 hours ago, Moparite said:

I wondered if the TC's actually came out before the Lebarons what the result would have been?

The bitching press would not have had all the ammo about a car coming out 2 model years after one that already looked ALMOST like the TC, and the comparison of interior trim and instrument components.

They would not have other models to compare with, but like all critics, they would find something.

The important point is if the current owners of these cars like them or not, and personally I would not buy or even own a car very long that was given to me if I hated it as much as the “bitchers”. 

Can we all agree that we have a certain liking for the TC cars as they were designed and that is why we are here on this forum, to help one another?

• Like 4

If not for the TC in the design stage, Chrysler would have kept building the G-body Laser, Daytona twin, and the actual K-car LeBaron squarish convertible and coupe instead of discontinuing them and bringing out the 87 LeBaron coupe and convertible as better replacements. The styling for the TC was from around 1984 when the Daytona/Laser were new on the market and squarish was all over the place on most cars. Chrysler stylists got a glimpse of the TC and immediately started reworking the Laser to resemble it.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:55 PM, ghostymosty said:

If not for the TC in the design stage, Chrysler would have kept building the G-body Laser, Daytona twin, and the actual K-car LeBaron squarish convertible and coupe instead of discontinuing them and bringing out the 87 LeBaron coupe and convertible as better replacements. The styling for the TC was from around 1984 when the Daytona/Laser were new on the market and squarish was all over the place on most cars. Chrysler stylists got a glimpse of the TC and immediately started reworking the Laser to resemble it.

You mean the LeBaron, don't you?  AND, that is not the way history went down. When we hear from the "who" or "team" we will have the real facts.

20 hours ago, Hemi Dude said:

You mean the LeBaron, don't you?  AND, that is not the way history went down. When we hear from the "who" or "team" we will have the real facts.

Nope Hemi, the Laser was the redesigned car. The square Lebaron coupe/convertible was just dropped altogether. The real clue here is the oft referred to 'shortened Daytona chassis' which was the exact same as the Chrysler Laser.  NOT talking about the Plymouth Laser which was a Mitsubishi shared platform along with an Eagle version. You only had a dealer connection with these cars, I had a corporate connection with Chrysler at the time the TC was conceptualized but not at the time it was actually brought to market. YOU should research a lot more before trying to correct me with totally incorrect information. I did stop trying to state that the 2.2L engine was based on an unused design that Chrysler bought from Fiat and then redesigned simply because I don't have time or inclination to research through a lot of old documents to find one that I may not even have anymore. There were magazine articles at the time that flat out stated that assertion as well. 

3 hours ago, ghostymosty said:

Nope Hemi, the Laser was the redesigned car. The square Lebaron coupe/convertible was just dropped altogether. The real clue here is the oft referred to 'shortened Daytona chassis' which was the exact same as the Chrysler Laser. 

Are you trying to tell me that the Chrysler Laser, the 1984-86 ‘G’ body, the same platform as the Dodge Daytona, was transformed into the ‘J’ body Chrysler LeBaron coupe/convertible in 1987 and the 1989-91 model TC ‘Q’ body?  After all, the entire running gear and suspension is similar across all those various body ‘K,G,J,Q’ designations. I hope I’m not going to be labeled an automotive racist by leaving out the ‘E, H, P, and S’ bodies. Oh yes, there were also the FWD ‘C’ & ‘Y’ body.  I hope I got them all now.    “Alphabet soup”! 

The ‘J’ body LeBaron coupe/convertible models replaced the ‘K’ body coupe/convertibles. I think we all know that. The ‘square’ LeBaron 4 door sedan remained through 1988.

Now, if you want to reveal your corporate connection knowledge as to what the upper management had in their heads during those years, please go ahead. 

Poor me, I was just another worthless line-mechanic while you were BIG STUFF. 

• 2 months later...

Ghostymosty’ You wrote, previously, YOU should research a lot more before trying to correct me with totally incorrect information. I did stop trying to state that the 2.2L engine was based on an unused design that Chrysler bought from Fiat and then redesigned simply because I don't have time or inclination to research through a lot of old documents to find one that I may not even have anymore. There were magazine articles at the time that flat out stated that assertion as well. 

You ought to quit being so arrogant and take your own advice, kid!

Chrysler designed the 2.2L from scratch on a blank sheet of paper.  Before you erupt in anger and sarcasm, check it out.

As for which came first, the chicken or the egg / the TC or the whatever, go check the facts there as well.

You may be enlightened.

Just so we are clear on who engineered the 2.2L engine, I will display the Cover Sheet (only)  

Society of Automotive Engineers, INC. titled ‘Chrysler Corporation’s New 2.2 Liter 4 Cylinder Engine.’

47D86827-A0FF-40B6-91EF-F87287020920.jpeg.04e9d82bd2b42f4f1386ca3e38c2d4ca.jpeg

From what I remember and can find, the 2.2 was designed and developed by Chrysler, and the project was headed by Willem Weertman and Pete Hagenbuch, both of whom had been involved with Chrysler engine designs back to the 60s. No mention of Fiat anywhere. I also do not remember any Laser or Daytona being redesigned to look anything like a TC. It was the third generation LeBaron that was designed to be a near twin to the TC. 

Edited by 2Shelbys (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2Shelbys said:

From what I remember and can find, the 2.2 was designed and developed by Chrysler, and the project was headed by Willem Weertman and Pete Hagenbuch, both of whom had been involved with Chrysler engine designs back to the 60s. No mention of Fiat anywhere. I also do not remember any Laser or Daytona being redesigned to look anything like a TC. It was the third generation LeBaron that was designed to be a near twin to the TC. 

Thank you for pitching in here. There are too many people who live on article reading, written by biased people who get paid to “put down” others. 

Hemi…

On 3/29/2023 at 3:26 PM, Hemi Dude said:

Thank you for pitching in here. There are too many people who live on article reading, written by biased people who get paid to “put down” others. 

Hemi…

No problem. I owned an '85 Shelby Charger, and '86 GLHS, and an '87 Charger GLHS, and was an early officer of the SDAC. We had a boatload of info on these cars, all of which was transferred to the new leadership of SDAC long ago. 

Edited by 2Shelbys (see edit history)
  • Like 1