1964 Triumph TR4 $7,500

We had a late   60's MG   midget in 1975.  Nothing electrical all worked on the same  day.  Different things would fail to come on and the next day they would work.  My brother  worked as a foreign  car mechanic and had nothing good to say about Lucas systems of the ERA.

On 1/23/2023 at 6:09 PM, John Bloom said:

The TR4,5,250 and 6 are all value buys from my perspective.  Simple engineering, British Charm, Chrome, wires, sporting enough that you can drive them aggressively on a nice summer/fall day and have all the fun of an Etype or Big Healey on a bargain budget.  Good club support.  This TR4 looks like a great opportunity.  I have limited space and need to hold on to that for other things on my wish list.  I need a buddy to buy this car and give me a hard time for not getting it for myself.  

John same issue here.  We thought two was the right number here, now back up to three.  

I do like having two road/casual show ready cars and a project though.

I need to think on whether I want a stock Model A roadster, or a 50s banger highboy as the A could go either way now.  Or give up the stall. A British sports car - MG, TR, Morgan is always in the back of my mind.

Lucas aside (mostly connectors that can be sorted), these cars in general and this one especially are pretty good bargains still in the big picture.

• Like 1

I had a friend - actually a previous work manager - who got me into Triumphs.  He was super cheap and had spotted a GT6 for sale for $400 on Craigslist and he showed it to me.  My friend is 6'2" so I thought no way.  Then a local old car and truck yard got a GT6 in and I went and looked at it.  That lead to more research and 2 separate purchases of TR4's.  

I am "OK" with a TR6 and I prefer the small mouth TR3's, but the TR4 is a very smart styled 2 door roadster/convertible.  The designer really brought in the excess to a minimum around the wheels and added an iconic headlamp configuration.   

• Like 2

Jake if you are even giving one of these outside consideration you should look hard at this one.

It looks like it could be used and enjoyed without breaking the bank and if a full restoration is your goal, you can accumulate spares while saving some cash for a full restoration.  Might be more appealing to the Mrs.  Than a car that is years out fron it's next drive.  Especially on  that first sunny Spring day. 

Snapped this clean TR at a show last July.  I like the color.

Agree the TR - 4 is really smartly styled and while I like the 6 as well, the 4 looks more vintage.  Deep footwells help a lot for taller drivers.   

20220730_130756.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I’m speaking recklessly since I haven’t seen the car in person, but I think this is a buy. An attractive color makes it all the more desirable. Not much money for something that has a classic vintage  British roadster vibe with charm and good looks.  

• Like 1