Restoration needs on a 1923 Dodge Bros. headlamp

alsfarms

Mike, each hook is designed to locate in the corresponding point in the headlight rim and detent with the point of the hook in the middle, you push the rim against the spring to release the hook point before rotation, how does your rim fit with the spring clip that you show in the way?

AD511F0F-D22C-41DB-831C-054A7BDDA2FE.jpeg.dd526937bc21267c4c218abbab18bbfd.jpeg

I am not positive but those spring clips look like they are off the later barrel type headlight, I have a pair here and will look in the morning (Australia time)

• Like 1

Minibago or others, I am curious to learn more about the subtle differences between similar vintage headlamps.  In particular what is the evolutionary difference of the headlamp body hooks. Is it a year evolution or a manufacturer design difference yet fits into a specific design mandated by Dodge Bros.

Regards,

Alan

More work is going on with my headlamp restoration.  I have now determined that one of my original DB lenses is lightly purpled, from spending years out in the sun. I don't really like this lens that much but I certainly do not want to put this purple lens as a pair with a good clear lens.  Does anyone here have a lightly purpled lens that they would get rid of so I can have a pair of these near awful lenses? Drop a not or a PM.

Al

Minibago, my lights are the barrel (cylidrical) type (example below), which I beleive are correct for '24 - '25.  The headlight rings I'm using, I was told, are from the earlier, round back body type.  The '25 rings (that came with the car) have less chamfer on the forward OD but were badly cracked.  I was able to get these earlier style rings which had the retainer tabs at the same locations to fit the barrel style drum fine.  It appears the later retaining springs operate differently and instead of the point of the hook dropping into a hole or slot,  as the ring is rotated the retainer slips under the spring clip and then stops when the edge of retainer bumps into the hook base.   Apparently it's just the force of the spring clip against the retainer (friction) that keeps them in place.  I've not had any problem with them rotating once on.

Hook.jpg

Retainer.jpg

example.jpg

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)
  • Like 2