1927 Marmon E75 touring 22,500

I think parts for this car would be challenging but there is a Marmon Club and perhaps they are active enough to help source items.  I am by no means an expert on the Marque, but in the earlier years they had more prestigious Big Iron types of cars.  That being said, this is a 136 in WB car with a 339 Cubic Inch straight 8.  It is not a small car.  

As for parts availability, it isn't going to be as convenient as playing in the "Packard, Cadillac, Studebaker, Buick, world from this era"

The most important question regarding that is probably "what is missing?"

I really like this type automobile, having owned a similar 1927 Little Marmon 8 Four passenger Speedster.  One weak link to me are those Dayton wire wheels. They might, however, be Buffalo and that would be better but I don't think so.

I hope this Marmon finds a good home.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I just noticed an awkward thing about this Marmon.  This Marmon must be a different Model than an E75 as the E75 is the last of the line for the big 6 cylinder Marmons. I wonder what the wheelbase for this 8 cylinder Marmon is? If this Marmon is a "Little Marmon" it is not considered a Full Classic by the CCCA. Has anyone spoke with the seller?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

I just noticed an awkward thing about this Marmon.  This Marmon must be a different Model than an E75 as the E75 is the last of the line for the big 6 cylinder Marmons. I wonder what the wheelbase for this 8 cylinder Marmon is? If this Marmon is a "Little Marmon" it is not considered a Full Classic by the CCCA. Has anyone spoke with the seller?

Al

Al, it is interesting you say that. The seller lists it as an E 75.   It’s hard to judge size just on a car by itself but when I look at the pictures, I thought to myself, that doesn’t look like 136 inch wheelbase car, it looks shorter than that. Perhaps the car is not the model that the seller is listing it as?  I copied that straight from his ad.

• Like 1

I like this car a lot. I have too many cars though to take it on though.  This is a 'Little' or L Marmon made in 1927 only. The wheel base is about 116" if memory serves. I have never seen one in person. Parts should be obtainable. It is not a true classic, but is just fine for Nickel Age tours and other events.

The model L served as the basis for the 1928 model 78 with a larger bore and longer wheelbase. The 78 had improved styling in terms of proportions. I'm thinking that it is the 78 that had the Dayton wire wheels mentioned earlier. These look like Buffalos.

• Like 2

I agree with 28 Stutzcabriolet, and I know by personal experience that these small Marmons are excellent runners and this one has very nice curb appeal.  I also know that if this four passenger speedster is in fact a Model L or Little Marmon, it does have Dayton wire wheels from the factory. I also had a 1928 Model 78 Parts car which did also have the same Dayton wheel as the 1927 Model L Marmon.  Yes, if looking at a Dayton and Buffalo wire wheel from the curb standpoint, it would be hard to tell the difference between a Dayton and a Buffalo, unless you are familiar with the hub nuts, which are very different.  Enlarging a side view picture of the front wheel, the cap is Dayton.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 2