title - company that will purchase a car, obtain georgia ownership, then sell the car back so it can be titled. - an update

automaschinewerks

@automaschinewerksis this what the USA border officers are telling you to do ....to satisfy them to release the car from the usa without a title ?.......i know Canada border will not really care and you do not need the usa title as long as they are satisfied that the usa side has cleared the car to leave

16 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

@automaschinewerksis this what the USA border officers are telling you to do ....to satisfy them to release the car from the usa without a title ?.......i know Canada border will not really care and you do not need the usa title as long as they are satisfied that the usa side has cleared the car to leave

Yes, a signed bill of sale, notarized, which is stamped and signed by a notary public (town clerk, etc.) and there is a couple of instructions on U.S. border website to follow and email with a number obtained in step one.  i have to phone the automated number message again, and write down the 2 instructions again, i couldnt write fast enough.

my lawyer said to attach 4 corner pictures of the car to the email to show what the car looks like that is showing up, is a good idea.

He asked how old the car is, i said 95 years.  im sure if we showed up at the border with a few late model cars that mysteriously lost the titles/ownerships that would be a different story.

- terry

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 11:58 AM, JACK M said:

Can't say that I have ever seen this.

So move to northeastern Illinois. We don't have mountains or oceans, but more food choices than you can shake a stick at. And a DMV that does it's job, although that may change now that the Sec. of State has retired.

On 2/25/2023 at 3:41 AM, automaschinewerks said:

Yes, a signed bill of sale, notarized, which is stamped and signed by a notary public (town clerk, etc.) and there is a couple of instructions on U.S. border website to follow and email with a number obtained in step one.  i have to phone the automated number message again, and write down the 2 instructions again, i couldnt write fast enough.

my lawyer said to attach 4 corner pictures of the car to the email to show what the car looks like that is showing up, is a good idea.

He asked how old the car is, i said 95 years.  im sure if we showed up at the border with a few late model cars that mysteriously lost the titles/ownerships that would be a different story.

- terry

That's a very interesting piece of information. This information is not the same as the process as described on the  U.S. Customs website. I followed a very similar process when I Exported from the U.S. / Imported to Canada a couple of race cars just before the COVID Border shut down. They are both " built as Racing only vehicles "  right from the factory and would have never have been titled or used as anything but track only cars. The U.S. Border Agent who handles  all the vehicle Export transactions in my area told me that if they had been regular production vehicles that had been modified for racing the normal Title requirement for any road use , production vehicle would still apply. But as they were off road , racing cars right from day one a bill of sale was the necessary document. He also confirmed that he follows the process as detailed on the official website for any and all regular , production vehicles.

Perhaps I need to start using a different " Port of Entry ". Alberta ?

not to argue ,but would like to hear more,as i have done many vehicles and parts both ways across the border over many years,i use a broker now as it is quite difficult.......not the general rules of what vehicle can cross the border......or the paperwork required........ but rather the filing process is why i use a broker now......i have NEVER seen the rules bent.....or different border crossings allowing different things to happen

• automaschinewerks changed the title to title - company that will purchase a car, obtain georgia ownership, then sell the car back so it can be titled. - an update