Advice needed. Window sweeps and felt fuzzies

Electra63

Hello.  I need some advice on the interior window seals/felts/fuzzies for my 63 Electra.

I'm having the door panels redone and need to source the correct interior strips for the top of the panels where it meets the window glass.

The existing strips are stapled to the curved sections at the top of the panels and seem to have 1/4" stainless trim on top and the felt fuzzies look like they were intergral.  

When the windows are down there is a gap between the top of the panels and the glass but when the windows are fully up the edge of the glass retainer which is part of the winder assy holding the glass closes up that gap

I've seen parts like the pic that have a V section that looks like it would cover the gap between the panels and the glass but once the bottom retainer reaches the top I think it would clash with the V piece and jam into it. 

Can anyone explain how this setup should be configured and whatno should buy to fit along the top of the door panels?

Various pics below. 

Thanks ! 20230108_151603.jpg.acf5460aaca1b50aafbbcb8613520e41.jpg20230108_151613.jpg.1ff3add4a7b4791af8f6735dd5aa63ab.jpg20230108_151647.jpg.76a7878473c8a33784eb2bd945098cd8.jpg20230108_151643.jpg.3bd4427a25e53210ef6f8a3f220d21bb.jpg

20230107_175554.jpg.71bbebd262f36f902e5c777eb7b56c85.jpg1627352586_Screenshot_20230108-153405_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.976b0cbd71364fa8199d0078d1041b9c.jpg1117970754_Screenshot_20230108-153447_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.07a6b7ce72c931e5573c0c1a0f49eb2a.jpg

I believe it's the same or very similar to the LeSabre... at least in the frame, body and some internal features like the dash etc.   Only difference could be the body style sedan v convertible.   Mine is a 4 door sedan.

Does that help ?

The front door rubbers and seals are the same as Chevrolet. The Electra has taller glass at the rear of the front doors on the 2-door models but otherwise they are the same. Not sure on the 4-door models but the bottom half is all standard GM with different skins. The Electra also has longer rear doors so they are different (same design). I purchased the correct window fuzzies with the stainless top from Ecklers (Chevrolet) and made new staples to fit. I just tried to find them again but a quick search failed, but anyone supplying CORRECT Chevrolet seals should be the right ones. As the rear doors are longer, try using the front ones? LeSabre & Invicta share even more parts with Chevrolet but you will be surprised how much is the same, and easier to locate as there are more Chevrolet suppliers than there is for Buick. Just don't tell them it is not going on a Chevrolet!

10 minutes ago, BRB62 said:

The front door rubbers and seals are the same as Chevrolet. The Electra has taller glass at the rear of the front doors on the 2-door models but otherwise they are the same. Not sure on the 4-door models but the bottom half is all standard GM with different skins. The Electra also has longer rear doors so they are different (same design). I purchased the correct window fuzzies with the stainless top from Ecklers (Chevrolet) and made new staples to fit. I just tried to find them again but a quick search failed, but anyone supplying CORRECT Chevrolet seals should be the right ones. As the rear doors are longer, try using the front ones? LeSabre & Invicta share even more parts with Chevrolet but you will be surprised how much is the same, and easier to locate as there are more Chevrolet suppliers than there is for Buick. Just don't tell them it is not going on a Chevrolet!

Thanks for the reply Rick.  Yes when repairing my wiper motor a few months ago I found out all about common parts ! 

Thanks for the tip.  I'll check the Chevrolet items out.  I was passing over those until now.  thanks again

My Lesabre is a 4 door as well. One thing you must also consider when ordering is whether it is a sedan or a coupe. The "post" model uses a different trim strip due to being shorter because of the presence of the door post. You have to specify, or you'll get the wrong piece. I know this from experience :(. 

Also, I wonder if the Electra has any commonality with Cadillacs. Maybe the longer door item could be sourced for a Cadillac 4 door? 

Edited by drhach (see edit history)

Thanks drhach.  I'm going to find a couple of options that look right to me and then review them with the local guy who I'm going to have make the replacement panels.  I did also email the guys at Cars LLC but I'm cautious about that based on other comments I've read about these strips.  It seems repops is a better bet..

Look on the underhood body data plate and determine your Electra's bodystyle.

4819 indicates a six-window 4-door sedan with a B pillar and window frames on the doors.

4829 is a six-window 4-door hardtop, no B pillar. An elegant high-line car.

4839 is a four-window hardtop with no B pillar and extended sail panels. Sporty elegance!

The 19, 29 and 39 body styles should share weatherstripping and window beltline seals with the same bodystyle Oldsmobile Ninety Eight, and Cadillac 62 and deVille.

Hope this helps you find the correct parts for your car. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 10:20 PM, BRB62 said:

BRB62, perhaps they are. I have found that in my 57 Buick, the sweeps were 9/16" tall and the Chevy one size fits all were 1/2" tall, making a bit of a problem when I went to install on door garnish moldings. They didn't quite look right or fit well. Re-did them with 9/16" and went and looked right. Same with the ones attached to the door. 9/16" tall as well. Maybe in 1963 they consolidated design and went to one size fits all. I know in 57 they are quite different.